Add existing OS to proxmox VE

DTIVKITT

May 15, 2022
Hi everyone. I have a bare metal Windows 10 installed in a HDD and I'd like to add it to PVE. I wouldn't like to convert the OS to Virtual, because if for any reason my PVE HDD dies, I can still boot the W10 directly.

I thought about creating a VM similar to the HDD OS and just replace the HDD in the VM. But I'm stuck there, I can't find a way to add it without having to format it.

Any idea if it will work and how to do it?

Have you read this overview already?

In general: With a lot of work, it may be possible and will probably loosing the activation of course due to hardware changes. Furthermore, it is not allowed to run a Windows Desktop anything other then Enterprise in a virtualized server environment.

Reactions: DTIVKITT
Yes, I have read the overview but couldn't find anything related to "physical-to-physical" or how to import physical OS to PVE.
I don't get why its just allowed Enterprise Windows version for PVE. I'm a home user, I can't afford a Enterprise license (and its an overkill, for my case).

The hardware I'm using is not that great, but again, its for home purposes. Its an AMD Phenom II X4-850 and 12GB memory.
The reason why I'm asking to do this is because I think is a waste of hardware having this system to run just one OS.

So, Is there any other way I can be safe if my PVE disk fails? I'd like to boot directly from my OS HDD if necessary, without PVE.

Reactions: DTIVKITT

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!