[SOLVED] Add another Ceph host

D

Deleted member 46289

Hello,

I´ve created a Ceph Cluster with SAS OSDs via GUI which works very well.
Now I would like to add another pool with SSDs.
As I read I have to add additional hosts for that but when I create a new host everything in the GUI under the OSD menu disappear.
If I delete the new host everything will appear again.

So I guess that I´m missing something that PvE can authenticate to the new ceph host. Could anyone give me a hint where the the problem is?

We run:
pve-manager/6.0-5/f8a710d7 (running kernel: 5.0.18-1-pve)

@Alwin
Well read it again and found that I could switch the class of the OSD (since it is detected as HDD).

Should Proxmox normally detect the type (class) of the OSD automatically?
Cause this is a test setup so we have an old Raid controller which uses a Raid0 for every single disk.

Should Proxmox normally detect the type (class) of the OSD automatically?
Cause this is a test setup so we have an old Raid controller which uses a Raid0 for every single disk.
Ceph tries to, but may fail. Especially with hardware masking the disks properties, as in your case. And this brings me to the preconditions in our documentation, never user a RAID controller for Ceph or ZFS.
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pveceph.html#_precondition

@Alwin
I´m also aware of this, unfortunately I don´t have other testing hardware... Maybe I can check to connect each disk direct to the motherboard.

So it mostly worked, I´ve my two pools with one class on each pool. But the second pool (ssd) stuck at creating+peering. There happens nothing so I have 75 PG creating+peering and 53 PG unknown.

Do you have also a hint for me for that case?

Edit: Well just created a pool with wrong numbers...
Now it works,

Thanks for your help :)

Last edited by a moderator:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!