[SOLVED] Accidentally deleted root=ZFS=rpool in kernel/cmdline and boot hangs

jena

Jul 9, 2020
Hello,

Urgently need help. I have research work data on it:oops:

Story:
My GPU passthrough has been working well on both 6.2.55 and 65. Because I used update-initramfs -u -k all, both .55 and .65 has GPU frame buffer disable thus no host display out. I was trying to reverse GPU passthrough settings so that I can keep a older version like 6.2.55 to have no GPU passthrough. So I can use the host display output for diagnose purpose

Motherboard MSI TRX40, BIOS set to be UEFI boot only, CSM disabled

I accidentally deleted all of the root=ZFS=rpool/ROOT/pve-1 boot=zfs rootdelay=10 quiet amd_iommu=on iommu=pt nofb nomodeset video=vesafb:off,efifb:off in kernel/cmdline and ran pve-efiboot-tool refresh, now boot hangs in initramfs

I tried
/sbin/modprobe zfs
Then
zpool import -R /rpool
Check zpool status, no zpool available.
If I type zpool import rpool again,
Then rpool shows up.

If I type exit, it still cannot boot from root (see picture).
Please help. Thank you so much.

all.jpg

Last edited:
Read a lot and final find a working solution.

Reboot.
When it gets to start menu GRUB.
1. Edit grub command line (press 'e' key )

from
initrd=\EFI\proxmox\5.X.X-X-pve\initrd.img-5.X.X-pve BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/linux26 ro ramdisk_size=16777216 rw quiet splash=silent (Or whateever is there)
to
initrd=\EFI\proxmox\5.X.X-X-pve\initrd.img-5.X.X-pve [B]root=ZFS=rpool/ROOT/pve-1 boot=zfs rootdelay=10 quiet[/B]

2. After system start:
echo root=ZFS=rpool/ROOT/pve-1 boot=zfs rootdelay=10 quiet > /etc/kernel/cmdline
pve-efiboot-tool refresh

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/z...fs-no-root-device-specified.64147/post-314406

Reactions: Dunuin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!