[SOLVED] accidentally deleted a xxx.conf file

Jonathan.parsy

Jan 7, 2020
Jerusalem
Hi you all,
i was trying to get rid of test vm's who where on a removed storaged so i've deleted a .conf file but i made a little mistake and deleted the worng one.
this vm is still working, i have an ssh access to it
the virtual disk hasn't be touched
how can i restore the .conf?

Thx

Hi,
do you have a backup of the VM? If so, you can get the config from the backup by restoring the VM to a different ID and copy that config.

In that case you will have to recreate the config by yourself. You can use a config from a new VM as template and change it according to the output you get from ps aux | grep '/usr/bin/kvm -id <VMID>' with the VMID of the config you deleted (assuming that the process is still running).

Last edited:
Reactions: maslak
You are welcome. Please don't forget to create backups of your VMs!

Reactions: maslak
and of the .conf i think
thx
The config is included in the vzdump backup. If you use a different backup solution you will have to make sure you include this information as well.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!