about backups..

Kyran Storm

Jun 23, 2019
so, I know you can make a backup of a VM on proxmox, ive done it before.

but, i have 3 drives. how can i set a second drive up to accept storage of backups of VMs besides the main drive the OS is stored on?

and then, how can i use the SCP command to transfer the backup on the second drive to a separate proxmox node from a different host

On your backup storage which one selected by you activate vzDump. So when you want get backup proxmox will record that Guest Backup to that storage.. All backup file will be in /mnt/pve/storagename/dump ( if you will add as a directory ), you can transfer where you want..

For easy end best way, build one GlusterFS directory with two replica with your Proxmox ( not need Proxmox cluster ) and add that two sparate proxmox system then when you get backup that two or more sparate proxmox can access to data easly..

how do i select the storage with vzdump? are there special flags that the storage drive needs to have?

can i downsize the partition on that drive and create a second partition on the drive that is not set to LVM?

you can create second thin LVM on that VG and mount folder this is useful for your..

lvcreate -l 50%FREE -T -n BACKUP VGNAME ( this will be create one thin LVM on that VG and that LV will be possibly use %50 percent disk area )

you will mount that backup LVM via fstap to your server after that you can add that mounted folder to proxmox as a directory...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!