a mounted samba folder is empty, a subfolder of this dataset isn't why is this?

Forssux

Mar 27, 2022
Hi there,

I have a zfs dataset mounted to a container with samba.

When I mount mp0: /mnt/QData/QMedia,mp=/mnt/media
I can only see the subfolders of this QMedia folder and only one level deep

When I mount mp0: /mnt/QData/QMedia/pictures,mp=/mnt/media
I can see all subfolders several braches deep and the corresponding files.

What can I do to read all files/directorys when mounting a higher branch

please advice...

Do you got several nested zfs datasets? You need to differentiate between datasets and folders. A ZFS dataset is not just a folder. Each dataset is its own filesystem. So a dataset is comparable to a partition with some kind of fixed filesystem on it. You can mount that filesystem in a folder but its not just a normal folder.
Sounds to my like "/mnt/QData/QMedia" is a dataset and "/mnt/QData/QMedia/pictures" is a dataset.
So if you mount "/mnt/QData/QMedia" you will only see its folder but not mountpoints of other child datasets.

Reactions: Forssux
yes indeed this is the case. I was thinking that if I mount the main dataset I could see the contents of it's sub datasets.
The strange thing is that I have a section in smb.conf that configures the QMedia Dataset and In windows I can Traverse this dataset to all folders and files.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!