A correct setup for a HP Z800

kcallis

Apr 5, 2018
I have been looking at purchasing a HP Z800 workstation. The idea of have 12 cores/24 threads sounds like I can really be productive. I have yet to get the correct storage layout, but it would seem that the Z800 has only 4 drive bays and no real room to add for instance, a 1TB boot HD for proxmox (or even a 250GB SSD).

So assuming that I have only 4 drives, what is the correct way to install proxmox? If I am limited to using one drive for proxmox (a 500GB SSD), that leaves me with 3 drives (I am thinking 6TB drives) for KVM images, lxc, and docker containers. Furthermore, I need to provide space for virtual FreeNAS or virtual OpenMediaVault with many TBs available for storage as well.

If there is anyone that owns a Z800, maybe you can give me some pointers. For instance, there a way to have a boot disk, so that I can setup RAID 5 or ZFS on the 4 drives? If that is not possible, what are my options?

Well i search on net based board for z800 and there i can see 6 sata port so you can put a hard drive into a cady using cd rom slot so:
1 ssd for proxmox
5drives for storage and from there you have a lot of options...

Well i search on net based board for z800 and there i can see 6 sata port so you can put a hard drive into a cady using cd rom slot so:
1 ssd for proxmox
5drives for storage and from there you have a lot of options...
Thanks for the info. Assuming I put PM6 on a SSD, what is the best configuration... Do I go with the standard LVM default or it is time to make the move to shift towards ZFS and RAID-Z? I am sure that there is greater complexity using ZFS.

I recommend zfs than thin lvm from my point of view. Algorithms from zfs is more complex and faster.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!