64bits images, possible ?

aljeux

Sep 10, 2008
It is possible to run 64bits version on proxmox ?

Having template for 64bits like centos4 would be very usefull.

Alain.

It is possible to run 64bits version on proxmox ?

Having template for 64bits like centos4 would be very usefull.

Alain.

yes. just grab here what you need and upload to your Proxmox VE.

Great, using your link I was able to create a vps with a centos4-x86_64.

Thanks for help,
Alain.

yes. just grab here what you need and upload to your Proxmox VE.

centos-5-x86_64-minimal it not working fine inside PVE.

I download and upload the template into PVE then I to create and start a test VE, but SSH do not respond over the network.

When I start to enter into that test VE using the command line, I get this error:

proxmox:~# vzctl enter 101
enter into CT 101 failed
Unable to open pty: No such file or directory
proxmox:~#

Any ideas?

centos-5-x86_64-minimal it not working fine inside PVE.

I download and upload the template into PVE then I to create and start a test VE, but SSH do not respond over the network.

When I start to enter into that test VE using the command line, I get this error:

proxmox:~# vzctl enter 101
enter into CT 101 failed
Unable to open pty: No such file or directory
proxmox:~#

Any ideas?

pls use default templates, these are known to work (networking, yum installed, etc.). if you need details about the minimal template, contact the maintainer of this template.

Thanks Tom.

I can swear this template works fine inside oVZ server under CentOS 5.1, but doesn't matter. I am using the default one for x64 and is working fine in my PVE.

Why do you guys suggest the use of 32bits templates instead of x64? There are any particular reasons for that?

Why do you guys suggest the use of 32bits templates instead of x64? There are any particular reasons for that?

Because they use much less ressources, and there is no realy reason to use 64bit for almost any application?

Example: Apache2 uses 4 times more memory.

- Dietmar

Because they use much less ressources, and there is no realy reason to use 64bit for almost any application?

Example: Apache2 uses 4 times more memory.

- Dietmar

Is that specific to virtual machines?
64 bit linux can be significantly faster than 32 bit in certain situations, transcoding, encoding, database operations, encryption, compiling, etc. Anything heavy in math and moving memory...
I would think the same would hold true for virtual machines but maybe not.

Is that specific to virtual machines?
no
64 bit linux can be significantly faster than 32 bit in certain situations, transcoding, encoding, database operations, encryption, compiling, etc. Anything heavy in math and moving memory...
I would think the same would hold true for virtual machines but maybe not.

I agree, it can be faster - but most times it is not. But it is always a memory hog - so it not suited for VMs unless you have a real reason.

- Dietmar

I created two identical installations of Ubuntu 8.10 minimal + shh + apache2 + mysql5. One 32 bit and the other one 64 bit.
The 64 bit version used only 4% more memory.
I only tested under light load though.

The 64 bit version used only 4% more memory.
I only tested under light load though.

That would be great if it only uses 4% more, but I doubt that this can happen in real world. My results show a massive increase in memory usage (200%-400%).

- Dietmar

why not?

Really? 200-400% thats not so... 64bit works a lot better in many cases for example highly threaded applications such as telephony. This is one of the reasons I wanted you guys to released the full build environment for the ISO so I could build this to suite my needs since you obviously do not believe 64bit is critical.

/b

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!