5.0 based on kernel 4.10?

Kaijia

Mar 8, 2017
Hi there,

I wonder why the next release is using Linux Kernel 4.10 instead of the LTS 4.9? 4.10 only has a lifecycle of around 0.5 years so is likely to be already end-of-life when Proxmox 5.1 is released.

New kernels have new features regarding virtualization, therefore it make sense to use 4.10 for the first 5.x.

Proxmox VE is a rolling distribution, so you will see changing kernels during the 5.x series.

Reactions: fireon
also, our kernel is based on Ubuntu's, and Ubuntu will not have a release that uses the 4.9 kernel (yakkety is 4.8, which is already EOL upstream, and zesty will be 4.10).

also, our kernel is based on Ubuntu's, and Ubuntu will not have a release that uses the 4.9 kernel (yakkety is 4.8, which is already EOL upstream, and zesty will be 4.10).

I thought proxmox is based on debian. And as dar as i know debian stretch will use kernel 4.9.

yes, the distribution is based on Debian, but we add
  • our own packages
  • patched and packaged versions of software not (yet) in Debian, or newer versions than in Debian (this is stuff like Qemu, LXC, but also ZFS and Sheepdog, ...)
  • a kernel based on Ubuntu's kernel

Reactions: ebiss

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!