4 PM9A1 NVME SSD Passthrough to Windows VM

Zoakivoor

Jul 4, 2021
Hi

This week i had some spare time and installed windows Server 2019 on my Proxmox Server (AMD EPYC 7232P, Supermicro H12SSL-CT, 128gb DDR4 ECC RDIMM) Kernel Version Linux 5.4.106-1-pve #1 SMP PVE 5.4.106-1.

I intend to use it as a NVME storage server. I installed an Asus Hyper m.2x16 gen 4 card with 4 Samsung 2tb PM9A1 (OEM version of 980 pro) and passed the 4 pcie SSDs through to the VM. I want to run it as a windows software raid 5 with 6tb of usable storage for photo and video editing.

I installed the virtio driver etc. in Windows but Windows only recognises 3 of the 4 SSDs???

In the Device Manager one of the SSDs has an exclamation mark. When I update the driver to Windows Standard NVM Express Controller, it works like a charm, until I reboot the Server. Then it does not recognise the drive and I have to reload the driver again.

I get a lot of the following error messages in the proxmox log:

“vfio-pci 0000:84:00.0: irq bypass producer (token 00000000b86949c0) registration fails: -16”

I have no idea what they mean.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be?

I tried to run windows bare metal and it recognised all SSDs flawlessly.

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• Device Manager Win2019.PNG
    Device Manager Win2019.PNG
    20.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Proxmox Log.txt
    668.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Windows hardware.PNG
    Windows hardware.PNG
    29.9 KB · Views: 13

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!