4.4 to 5.2 upgrade. Why is pve-data corrupt?

Jan 12, 2015
I upgraded from 4.4 to 5.2 recently and noticed my /var/lib/vz ext4 filesystem didn't survive the upgrade. Is this a known issue with Debian 9 or something? On 4.4 this system was rebooted, and fsck'd, practically every weekend for either Proxmox or SAN upgrades so I'm wondering if the error is due to some feature not preset in 4.4 (kernel, ext4, etc) or just.. sunspots.

# fsck -Cf /dev/pve/data
fsck from util-linux 2.29.2
e2fsck 1.43.4 (31-Jan-2017)
ext2fs_open2: Bad magic number in super-block
fsck.ext2: Superblock invalid, trying backup blocks...
The filesystem size (according to the superblock) is 460950528 blocks
The physical size of the device is 448367616 blocks
Either the superblock or the partition table is likely to be corrupt!
Abort<y>? cancelled!

/dev/mapper/pve-data: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

/dev/mapper/pve-data: ********** WARNING: Filesystem still has errors **********

Hi,
that's not normal.

Do you have hardware-error on the PV? What kind of storage is it?
SAN-Upgrade? You are sure, that the lvm pve-data is used by one node only? Sounda little bit, that you mount the FS from more than one host.

Udo

No hardware errors that I know of. pve-data is on Areca HW RAID1 with a hotspare and battery backup.

pve-data is only used locally on each Proxmox node. it is not shared over any network filesystem. We have Infiniband backend serving gluster and iSCSI for virtual machines. When storage must reboot for kernel upgrades, it requires proxmox hosts to power down all VMs and unmount shared volumes. The proxmox hosts are rebooted by the storage server after it as finished upgrading kernel -- that's when fsck happens (touch /forcefsck or grub parameter) on Proxmox hosts.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!