2 GPUs, 2 VMs not working as intended

RockisLife

Jan 26, 2022
Hello Proxmox Forums,
I am trying to pass through 2 GPUs to 2 VMs. I have gone through the process of enabling and setting up PCIe Pass through. It works for 1 VM. But when I go to start VM number 2 with the other graphics card set, I get this error
Code:
kvm: -device vfio-pci,host=0000:02:00.0,id=hostpci0.0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x10.0,multifunction=on: vfio 0000:02:00.0: failed to open /dev/vfio/1: Device or resource busy
TASK ERROR: start failed: QEMU exited with code 1

Could it be a PCIe Lane issue?
I have two devices at 0000:01:00 and 0000:02:00
If any further information is required I am happy to provide. Any guidance is greatly appreciated
Thank you

Check your IOMMU groups; you cannot share devices in the same group between VMs and/or the Proxmox host (securely).
EDIT:
How Do I separate them in IOMMU Groups. They both are in the same group
Well, that's your problem right there...

Last edited:
4 things you could try:
1.) IOMMU groups are defined by your BIOS/UEFI and how the mainboard is electrically engineered. So buying another mainboard with better IOMMU groups might help. Especially when buying enterprise hardware you got better chances of better IOMMU groups and features like more PCIe lanes, bifurication , ... This site for example might help to check iOMMU groups before buying hardware: https://iommu.info/
2.) upgrade your BIOS/UEFI. Maybe the manufacturer patched better IOMMU groups with later firmware versions
3.) put your GPU in another PCIe slot that maybe got it's own IOMMU group
4.) make use of "acs_override" to split those IOMMU groups. But this isn't always working and also a big security problem as PCIe devices (and RAM because of DMA?) won't be isolated anymore.

Last edited:
So I finally got it to where im not having the issue of the GPUs, Now the bigger issue is that I cant have both of the VMs Running at the same time

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!