10G switch Mikrotik?

xtriglavx

Aug 3, 2020
Hello,

please, is MikroTik CRS309-1G-8S+IN good for connect 3 PVE servers on 10GBe network for Ceph and cluster network? I want separate network for Ceph and for PVE cluster, but I want this networks on 10Gb networks, because I need faster copy/move nodes and etc between this servers. This Mikrotik is very cheap, but I don't have experience with this switch.

Today I have 3 Servers connected via 10Gb SFP+ only for Ceph, not for PVE cluster, this is only on 1Gbs network.

https://mikrotik.com/product/crs309_1g_8s_in

Thanks for any helpful and answer.

Don't see why it wouldn't be good. For 3 nodes it really shouldn't matter that much which switch is in use, if it supports the speed you're going for and has good latency.

Keep in mind that the idea between seperating the cluster and ceph networks is so that Ceph traffic does not cause dropouts for Corosync, which may lead to cluster problems. If you intend to use the full capacity of the secondary 10G network for migration and such, it might be a good idea to go for a third network, 1G if you want, solely dedicated to corosync (you can set the migration network in the datacenter configuration).

I got that exact switch 3 weeks ago and I hate it. I wish I wouldn't have updated to the newest firmware, it's worse now than before. Have to unplug the power on the switch in order to get it to activate a new sfp+ plugged in. Unacceptable

I got that exact switch 3 weeks ago and I hate it. I wish I wouldn't have updated to the newest firmware, it's worse now than before. Have to unplug the power on the switch in order to get it to activate a new sfp+ plugged in. Unacceptable
you can downgrade... btw... don't forget to upgrade the routerboard firmware, too - otherwise you're going to have some nasty effects (like the one you're experiencing... had that in the past when not upgrading routerboard as well)

Reactions: guletz
Thanks for the tip. I’ll try upgrading the router board as well! Hopefully then I like it

When you say routerboard firmware, do you mean the routeros packages? I just updated router os packages. Thanks

Hi,

Do a /system routerboard print
routerboard: yes
model: CRS326-24S+2Q+
serial-number: AEF60A26983E
firmware-type: qca9531L
factory-firmware: 6.44.3
current-firmware: 6.48.1
upgrade-firmware: 6.48.1

if the "current-firmware" isn't showing the same as your os firmware do:

/system routerboard upgrade

NOTE: You have to reboot your switch after that. If the SFPs still don't come online check the SFPs... sometimes there are incompatibilities... I personally made quite well experiences with FS.COM Cisco compatible...

Tobias

Last edited:
Try to use the LTS firmware (6.47.9) for such use cases, the current stable is IMHO ok for testing and SOHO usage, but not stable enough for data center production yet.

Reactions: iprigger
Try to use the LTS firmware (6.47.9) for such use cases, the current stable is IMHO ok for testing and SOHO usage, but not stable enough for data center production yet.
Depends a bit on what you're doing - and what possibility you have for testing. I currently use Stable - but have failed back to LTS on occasion.

Software-Quality is definitely something Mikrotik needs to work on!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!