[SOLVED] 1 vps with 2 network interfaces on the same subnet

ibrahimmohammad

Oct 27, 2023
Hello ,

I have a vps on proxmox node. this vps has one network interface and it works without any problem.

when I add another netwrok interface to the vps and after configuring the new network interface from the guest system (rockylinux) to be on the same network subnet.
- I can not ping that new network interface from outside the network. from the internet.
- I also can not ping the default gateway from that network interface using ping -I. inside the guest system. inside the vps.
- but I can ping that new interface from any other device on the network (connected to same network switches) or from the proxmox host.
- and i noticed that in the arp table of any other device on the network the ip of the new network interface points to the mac address of the old network interface not the mac of the new network interface. so I think that the mac address of the new network interface did not get populated on the network.

so my question is why the new network interface mac address does not show up in arp on any network device ?
why the new network interface can not reach the gateway while the old interface can ?
why the new network interface ip can be pinged only from inside the devices connected directly to the network but not from the gateway ?

Both network interfaces the old and new one are on the same vps at the same time and on the same linux bridge on proxmox host and same network subnet but with different ips.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!