FreeBSD/FreeNAS VMs freeze at menu on boot.

I

ItsTheSource

I'm having trouble creating VMs for FreeBSD & FreeNAS. When I launch the VM from the console the boot process stalls when the timeout expires for their boot menu. I've verified the checksums match for all ISOs. Here's a dump of my most recent attempt. I attempted to follow this guide from the Wiki.

Code:
bootdisk: scsi0cores: 2
ide2: local:iso/FreeBSD-9.1-RELEASE-amd64-dvd1.iso,media=cdrom,size=2612184K
memory: 2048
name: freebsd
net0: e1000=FE:8D:B3:15:16:0A,bridge=vmbr0
ostype: other
scsi0: local:100/vm-100-disk-1.qcow2,size=16G
sockets: 1

I've also tried IDE & raw, but nothing seems to help. Anyone have any tips?

P.S. We're talking 64-bit here.

you run latest? if not, upgdate. and post your 'pveversion -v'

you run latest? if not, upgdate. and post your 'pveversion -v'
I am also having problem with FreeBSD 64 bit, including FreeNas and Nas4Free. To confimr the issue is that the VM hangs just after the initial boot menu, times out and the default option chosen. The VM will peg one of the cores at 100%, I think there is progressing occurring, but thousands of times slower than should be. Any help in diagnosing this would be helpful.

root@proxmox10:~# pveversion -v
pve-manager: 2.3-12 (pve-manager/2.3/ad9c5c05)
running kernel: 2.6.32-18-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 2.3-88
pve-kernel-2.6.32-18-pve: 2.6.32-88
lvm2: 2.02.95-1pve2
clvm: 2.02.95-1pve2
corosync-pve: 1.4.4-4
openais-pve: 1.1.4-2
libqb: 0.10.1-2
redhat-cluster-pve: 3.1.93-2
resource-agents-pve: 3.9.2-3
fence-agents-pve: 3.1.9-1
pve-cluster: 1.0-36
qemu-server: 2.3-17
pve-firmware: 1.0-21
libpve-common-perl: 1.0-48
libpve-access-control: 1.0-26
libpve-storage-perl: 2.3-6
vncterm: 1.0-3
vzctl: 4.0-1pve2
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.1-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 1.4-7
ksm-control-daemon: 1.1-1

I can confirm that I have seen this on multiple pieces of hardware on numerous FreeBSD x64 installs specifically. Nas4free, FreeNAS, and pfsense. The common denominator as crazy as it sounds is the Intel Ivy CPU's. I have tested this with Ivy Xeon's and i7's. I just came back to test on ProxMox 2.3 hoping for a fix but no avail.

Tom, do you have a testing environment at all that you can test out to confirm it is a Proxmox and Ivy issue?

kiwisincebirth, you running on an Ivy chip?

try qemu , I think new installs default to KVM now. I think all my BSD VMs I had to do this.

BTW I'm on AMD procs here

no go. same deal. used qemu64, ive also tried various other processor emulation without avail. I can confirm that this is something to do with Proxmox exclusively though. I run a couple other qemu/kvm servers on top of squeeze and ubuntu server 12.04 LTS and they install/run x64 FreeBSD without issue. Both Ivy as well. So odd....

I can confirm I am on Ivy Bridge. Specifically intel DZ75ML45K motherboard. And Core i5-3470 CPU. These were chosen for documented Vtx Vtd support.

- - - Updated - - -

Tom See message below, not sure I posted correctly.

I think the option that has been talked about is switch to another processor type other than KVM, not sure which one is best..

I've tried all of them, every single one of them with no difference,
Why it is working on Proxmox 2.3 but not 3.1 ?

I've had the issues like this before with pfSense (just 64bit). My solution is to use qemu64 cpu type. It works well. I haven't tried the other options though, but qemu64 works, so I stick with it for BSD based VMs.

I've had the issues like this before with pfSense (just 64bit). My solution is to use qemu64 cpu type. It works well. I haven't tried the other options though, but qemu64 works, so I stick with it for BSD based VMs.
Qemu64 doesn't work either,
I should downgrade to Proxmox 2.3, seems the Proxmox 3.1 is not OK with FreeBSD

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!