boot failed: not a bootable disk

spoonman

Apr 11, 2011
Hi I am doing a migration from a physical server with debian etch 32bit to proxmox kvm
I ran this command on the physical server:

dd if=/dev/md0 | ssh root@192.168.2.190 dd of=/var/lib/vz/images/100/vm-100-disk-1.raw

and in Proxmox I can manually mount the drive and see the contents with this command:
mount-t ext3-o loop vm-100-disk-1.raw mnt/

but when I try to start the virtual machine I get this error:

I can't understand... :confused:
I tried using virtio, ide, scsi and setting the boot order

Hi I am doing a migration from a physical server with debian etch 32bit to proxmox kvm
I ran this command on the physical server:

dd if=/dev/md0 | ssh root@192.168.2.190 dd of=/var/lib/vz/images/100/vm-100-disk-1.raw

and in Proxmox I can manually mount the drive and see the contents with this command:
mount-t ext3-o loop vm-100-disk-1.raw mnt/

but when I try to start the virtual machine I get this error:

I can't understand... :confused:
I tried using virtio, ide, scsi and setting the boot order

Hi,
you only copy the root-partition (software-raid md0)?! - so your VM-hdd miss the MBR/Partitiontable...

You can copy sda (if your softwareraid is an raid1 between sdaX and sdbX) and change adfter that inside the VM the root-partiton from md0 to sda1 (or sda2 or vdaX).
If your softwareraid is an raid5, you must copy the content to the right partiton.

Udo

Hi,
you only copy the root-partition (software-raid md0)?! - so your VM-hdd miss the MBR/Partitiontable...

You can copy sda (if your softwareraid is an raid1 between sdaX and sdbX) and change adfter that inside the VM the root-partiton from md0 to sda1 (or sda2 or vdaX).
If your softwareraid is an raid5, you must copy the content to the right partiton.

Udo

It is a software raid 1; As suggested I tried using dd ​​with the partition sda1 but got the same error.

After that I tried to install on a virtual machine the same version of debian and then I added as a secondary drive the raw image of the real system.
If a tried to view partition with
fdisk /dev/sdb
I got:
Device contains neither a valid DOS partition table, nor Sun, SGI, or OSF disklabel ...

I can mount from proxmox the same raw file with mount -t ext3 -o loop

it seems that the format is not recognized by kvm

Perhaps the problem is that it is the image of a single partition and is not the image of an entire disk ?

why don´t you just use clonezilla for cloning? will prevent a lot of problems.

Hi,

Udo

Thank you, It is a software raid 1
I tried to copy the partition sda1 and got the same error.
I did this test:
- I took the raw files generated, I tried to mount it with mount-t ext3-o loop ... in proxmox and see the contents
- I created a virtual machine with the same version of linux machine that I want to clone, and I added the raw files generated as secondary.
I can not even see the partition content with fdisk, I got this error

Device contains naither a valid DOS partition table, nor Sun, SGI or OSF disklabel...

I have not used Clonezilla because I would have liked to migrate only the data of the primary partition.

At the end I solved by using the command
dd if = / dev / sda | ssh root@192.168.2.190 dd of = / var/lib/vz/images/100/vm-100-disk-1.raw
copying the entire disk as suggested

Thanks
Fabio

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!