VLANS questions

kankamuso

Oct 19, 2011
Dear all,

I have a quick questions about VLANS that are not clear to me after reading wikis. We have some powerconnect swithches that we want to use to manage different VLANs coming from different KVM guests, but the switch does not seem to let us add more than one VLAN tag per port.

a) Can multiple VLANS use the same ethernet connector on the host?. For me it is clear that YES, using different vbr, right?.
b) Can you recommend any swith that allows multiple VLAN tags on the same port, if any?.

Thanks in advance,

Jose.

Dear all,

I have a quick questions about VLANS that are not clear to me after reading wikis. We have some powerconnect swithches that we want to use to manage different VLANs coming from different KVM guests, but the switch does not seem to let us add more than one VLAN tag per port.

a) Can multiple VLANS use the same ethernet connector on the host?. For me it is clear that YES, using different vbr, right?.
b) Can you recommend any swith that allows multiple VLAN tags on the same port, if any?.

Thanks in advance,

Jose.
Hi,
I guess there was an misunderstandig. Which kind of switch do you use for vlan-tagging?
If your switch support 802.1q they should be able to use some vlans on one port. The naming is sometimes a little bit strange...
(On the cheap cisco/linksys router you must select Acceptable Frame Type tagged only (with pvid 1) and all vlans are used by this port...)

Udo

Hi,
I guess there was an misunderstandig. Which kind of switch do you use for vlan-tagging?
If your switch support 802.1q they should be able to use some vlans on one port. The naming is sometimes a little bit strange...
(On the cheap cisco/linksys router you must select Acceptable Frame Type tagged only (with pvid 1) and all vlans are used by this port...)

Udo

You are right... the switch I used is not properly prepared for truncking... I will have a look for another one. Thanls a lot !.

Jose.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!