[SOLVED] Installation GUi fails to start

tvlot

Mar 27, 2023
Hi,

Bought myself a new set of components to make my (first ever) proxmox server. It has a core i5 (13th gen) with build in graphics. I tried installing Proxmox VE 7.3 this morning which failed to start the installation GUI. Manually tried to reconfigure X, which still led to no GUI.

While googling around I found 7.4 was out, so I tried that install. The errors are different, but I still can't get the installation GUi to work. I did try a manual install over the top of a fresh Debian 11 install, but that hung after installing the Proxmox kernel, but it did run X without issues.

Currently I'm stuck, for the 7.4 install, with an error:
modprobe: FATAL module fbcon not found in directory /lib/modules/5.15.102-1-pve
intel: waited 2020ms for i915.ko module to load

The Xorg.1.log show:
[ 1180.172] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 24.1
[ 1180.172] (II) intel: Driver for Intel(R) Integrated Graphics Chipsets:
i810, i810-dc100, i810e, i815, i830M, 845G, 854, 852GM/855GM, 865G,
915G, E7221 (i915), 915GM, 945G, 945GM, 945GME, Pineview GM,
Pineview G, 965G, G35, 965Q, 946GZ, 965GM, 965GME/GLE, G33, Q35, Q33,
GM45, 4 Series, G45/G43, Q45/Q43, G41, B43
[ 1180.172] (II) intel: Driver for Intel(R) HD Graphics
[ 1180.172] (II) intel: Driver for Intel(R) Iris(TM) Graphics
[ 1180.172] (II) intel: Driver for Intel(R) Iris(TM) Pro Graphics
[ 1182.188] intel: waited 2020 ms for i915.ko driver to load
[ 1184.205] intel: waited 2020 ms for i915.ko driver to load
[ 1184.206] (EE) No devices detected.

Any suggestions how to get the GUI to work so I can install proxmox?

thanx

I have the same issue.
  • Intel i5 13500
  • nVidia RTX 3050
  • 64gb ddr4 3200 corsair vengence
  • 5x 4tb Iron Wolf
  • 2x nvme WD SN700
  • Gigabyte B760 gaming x MB DDR4
I really don`t understand why proxmox does not want to install... is going until Installing GUI and remains stuck there.
Let me know if you find a solution.

Last edited:
I think the problem is that the CPU is too new and the i915 intel drivers are having issues recognizing the iGPU. Since the installer comes with the 5.15 Kernel, I think you have better chances installing on top of Debian [1]. You say you've tried that but it hangs. Did you try installing the pve-kernel-5.15? If so, please try with pve-kernel-6.2 instead (you can get a full list of available kernels with apt-cache search pve-kernel).

[1]: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_11_Bullseye

Reactions: tvlot
Hi Noel,

I'll give the 6.2 kernel a shot. I had slightly more success with the 5.19 kernel compared to the 5.15, it booted! But the realtek network adapter wasn't supported, I suspect cause installing PV after installing the kernel brought in the 5.15 kernel and a matching pve-firmware, but not one for 5.19.

Will let you know if the 6.2 fixes the "I'm too keen on new shiny stuff" problem I clearly created for myself.

thanx

Hi Noel,

I'll give the 6.2 kernel a shot. I had slightly more success with the 5.19 kernel compared to the 5.15, it booted! But the realtek network adapter wasn't supported, I suspect cause installing PV after installing the kernel brought in the 5.15 kernel and a matching pve-firmware, but not one for 5.19.

Will let you know if the 6.2 fixes the "I'm too keen on new shiny stuff" problem I clearly created for myself.

thanx
Buddy, if i`m not asking to much. Would you be able to help me install proxmox after you finish your setup?
I just can`t manage to make it work... i am trying to install proxmox for over 6-7 hours... no results. Appreciate.

Seems that the 6.2 kernel has the same issue as the 5.19 kernel does. They boot fine until I "Install the Proxmox VE packages". One of the many changes this introduces leads to the loss of the Realtek driver needed for my network adapter.

I have a working Proxmox install. But it's very isolated without a network.

Buddy, if i`m not asking to much. Would you be able to help me install proxmox after you finish your setup?
I just can`t manage to make it work... i am trying to install proxmox for over 6-7 hours... no results. Appreciate.
xSniper,

Try the suggestion Noel posted. Basically a clean (working) Debian 11 installation, and then add Proxmox to it. As he suggests use the 6.2 kernel. The only issue (it's a big one granted) is I don't have a working network adapter atm. If your mainboard has a 2.5Gb Realtek NIC, you will hit the same speed bump most likely

Update before I call it a day. Found the realtek drivers and how to install them manually (https://askubuntu.com/questions/1263363/2-5g-ethernet-linux-driver-r8125-installation-guide), unfortunately this requires packages (make and friends, dkms, that I don't have on the system so need to copy them manually and install the offline.

That will be tomorrow's fun I guess.
I followed the guide... but i`m newbie i have all kind of issue. It will be much easier for someone to guide me on discord or some chat or something. Like I said. I can use temporary my intel pci card dual nics. Could you help me? Thank you.

I followed the guide... but i`m newbie i have all kind of issue. It will be much easier for someone to guide me on discord or some chat or something. Like I said. I can use temporary my intel pci card dual nics. Could you help me? Thank you.
Hi xSniper,

I get your pain. While I'm a newbie at Proxmox I've been a Linux sysadmin for 30+ years. Not sure if someone helping you get up and running, including building Kernel modules is doing you a favour. Every time you apply updates, you will run the risk of having to re-compile the modules.

I will leave it for the more experienced Proxmox'ers to asses if that would be a frequent problem or a "once a year, it's fine" thing.

Update before I call it a day. Found the realtek drivers and how to install them manually (https://askubuntu.com/questions/1263363/2-5g-ethernet-linux-driver-r8125-installation-guide), unfortunately this requires packages (make and friends, dkms, that I don't have on the system so need to copy them manually and install the offline.

That will be tomorrow's fun I guess.
Yeah that sounds like a PITA, sorry about that. But it seems like the finish line is in sight.
FWIW, there is a text-based installer on the roadmap [1].

If you do have a GPU lying around, I'd try @adresner 's idea, try to boot into a proxmox instance from a boot stick and see if X is working.

Either way, best of luck and keep us up-to-date :)

[1]: https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4230

If you are struggling with installing Proxmox on Debian I'd ask you to open up a new thread and write exactly what you are struggling with/which errors you are getting. Feel free to ping me in the new thread with @noel.

Seems that compiling the Realtek driver is a no-go as their supplied driver bombs out when trying to both use their autorun to make stuff, and manually using dkms to build them. Not looking to make this work every time it fails so I guess I will need to fall back to adding a NIC card. While I'm ordering stuff I may as well order a separate GPU (don't have any lying around :-( ).

Is there any guaranteed to work chipsets I'm looking for when ordering new (PCIE) kit?

Is there any guaranteed to work chipsets I'm looking for when ordering new (PCIE) kit?
I am afraid I can't give you a direct answer and I don't want to misinform you. I take no responsibility for you getting hardware that doesn't work

I can tell you I am using a gt 1030 GPU in my work machine (for testing and whatnot. It's a very weak card and I basically use it to see if the video-output is working).
As for NIC: at home I have a Dell Broadcom Netextreme 10Gig card I got for cheap, used.
But just because this hardware config works on my machine doesn't mean it will necessarily work on yours.

I think for the most part you should be safe with some old cheapo GPU like a 730 or something, just to get video output. I am not quite as familiar with NICs.

sorry I can't give you more direct information, maybe you'll find some hardware on the forum or reddit that works for other people?

Reactions: tvlot
I am afraid I can't give you a direct answer and I don't want to misinform you. I take no responsibility for you getting hardware that doesn't work

I can tell you I am using a gt 1030 GPU in my work machine (for testing and whatnot. It's a very weak card and I basically use it to see if the video-output is working).
As for NIC: at home I have a Dell Broadcom Netextreme 10Gig card I got for cheap, used.
But just because this hardware config works on my machine doesn't mean it will necessarily work on yours.

I think for the most part you should be safe with some old cheapo GPU like a 730 or something, just to get video output. I am not quite as familiar with NICs.

sorry I can't give you more direct information, maybe you'll find some hardware on the forum or reddit that works for other people?
Thanx for the suggestions. I googled for some "best with Linux" suggestions and ordered some cheap suggestions. Fingers crossed. Will let you know how i get on with new parts that (hopefully) make the install a bit simpler :)

Reactions: noel.
Hi,

Bought myself a new set of components to make my (first ever) proxmox server. It has a core i5 (13th gen) with build in graphics. I tried installing Proxmox VE 7.3 this morning which failed to start the installation GUI. Manually tried to reconfigure X, which still led to no GUI.

While googling around I found 7.4 was out, so I tried that install. The errors are different, but I still can't get the installation GUi to work. I did try a manual install over the top of a fresh Debian 11 install, but that hung after installing the Proxmox kernel, but it did run X without issues.

Currently I'm stuck, for the 7.4 install, with an error:

The Xorg.1.log show:

Any suggestions how to get the GUI to work so I can install proxmox?

thanx
Hey @tvlot

I had a similar experience where the installation stooped at the EULA screen. Issue was the power settings on the box

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/installation-reboots-at-eula-screen.112156/

Added the new (simple) GPU and NIC into my "add it to clean Debian" build. Got it online and working but, weirdly, addind the PCIe NIC has also resulted in my on-board NIC being recognised.

Anyways, as this is a new build I figured today I'll blow it all away and see if the new GPU allows me to do an install of 7.4 from the normal ISO. If that poses issues again, I know I have the debian route to fall back on :)

10 minutes later (it's nice to have fast new toys! :D ), I'm up and running a clean Proxmox 7.4 install. The system is online using the on-board NIC and the added simple (Radeon HD5450 2Gb) GPU did the trick to make the installer happy!

Thanx all for the support and suggestions.

Reactions: adresner and noel.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!