Install Fail WS W680-ACE IPMI stuck at waiting for /dev to be fully populated

Mar 22, 2023
Hi Everyone, very new here. First time I'm trying to install Proxmox for the first time. Got Windows and TrueNas both installed, but was hoping to use Proxmox and install not going well and after a few days of this, I am hoping someone from this community can help me?

So I tried to disable TPM
Added in 2 different video cards (older ones P600, old Nvidia GT)
Tried toggling many other features in the BIOS.

Is it the OS trying to load something related to the iGPU? maybe the iGPU is too new?

Frustrating, I saw someone else who has this board and got it installed, saiid he put a GPU in and worked past that issue but that didn't seem to work out for me.

Any help is very much appreciated..

My system:
Pro WS W680-ACE IPMI
i9 13900k
128GB Crucial 32GB DDR5 ECC
LSI 9207-8i

Was able to successfully install Debian 11. But steps to install Proxmox failed. Why is proxmox fighting so hard with me
it would be easier to help if you posted what exactly failed ;)

it would be easier to help if you posted what exactly failed ;)
You are so correct... sorry. Been so busy going in and out of BIOS and rebooting, resetting Bios, googling, etc.. I didn't put the output from doing the advanced install.

Watch this video here https://www.dropbox.com/s/wd53ndf65et1jmi/IMG_7051.mov?dl=0

The last line of the last time I tried to install was
[17.406374] ACPI Warning: \_SB.PC00.GFX0._DSM:Argument #4 type mismatch - Found [Buffer], ACPI requires [Package] (20210730/nsarguments-61)

I took some awful photos... my screen is an ultra wide and that doesn't help us in a situation like this. If I need better output, I can try again tomorrow morning and post it in a more organized and informative way.

Thank you =)

Attachments

• IMG_7065.jpeg
    IMG_7065.jpeg
    11.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7058.jpeg
    IMG_7058.jpeg
    14.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7059.jpeg
    IMG_7059.jpeg
    45.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7060.jpeg
    IMG_7060.jpeg
    17.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7061.jpeg
    IMG_7061.jpeg
    16 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7062.jpeg
    IMG_7062.jpeg
    13.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7063.jpeg
    IMG_7063.jpeg
    43.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7064.jpeg
    IMG_7064.jpeg
    40.5 KB · Views: 11
I meant more with the install on top of Debian - hopefully there it is possible to copy/paste any errors/messages :)

you can tinker with the iso based install to try to get graphics to work (e.g., there might be some kernel commandline options to try, or a manually adapted Xorg config might help), but I'd only advise this if you are familiar with how to debug issues.

AAAh... well, I followed your step by step which seemed to go well. I used mostly the defaults when installing Debian, nothing exotic. However, in the end I could not open the webadmin. I did not see any errors.. all the commands went well. (I choose pve-kernel-5.19)

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_11_Bullseye

I could try from scratch again tmr.. however, I would really like to install directly from your ISO. Which I tried from various USB ports, created a dedicated USB stick as per your wiki.

I meant more with the install on top of Debian - hopefully there it is possible to copy/paste any errors/messages :)

you can tinker with the iso based install to try to get graphics to work (e.g., there might be some kernel commandline options to try, or a manually adapted Xorg config might help), but I'd only advise this if you are familiar with how to debug issues.
I'm not very familiar with debugging, other than swatting mosquitos here in Thailand. However, I would be game to try if there were a step by step... maybe my CPU is too new? i9 13900k - the integrated graphics?

When I get back to the office tmr:

1. Gonna try to install V6 (if success, will try to update to 7)
2. Then try install over Debian (if 1 fails)
3. Lastly, will try to explore getting the ISO to work (if 1 and 2 are failures)

Will record all output and report back here. Appreciate your support! Looking forward to test driving Proxmox !

Reactions: fabian
1. Tried 6.4, 7.3, and 7.2 they all failed
2. Tried to install Buster, didn't go well.. doesn't like i226
3. Checked a msg from user oncdoc who suggested I put a GPU (used a 10 year old NVIDIA GT with DVI port) into slot 1, HBA into slot 2 and BAM! Everything came up roses. I'm up and running.

SO if you have this board, and you run into issues, put a simple GPU into slot 1, make sure you bios default graphics are set to PCIE, and you should be good to go. I had to run out of the office, so I didn't check but oncdoc says that after install, he removed the GPU and everything booted up fine.. I'll try that tmr and report back.

6.4 Error: Starting chrony for opportunistic time-sync... Starting a roat shell on ttys3

7.3 Error:
Starting chrony for opportunistic time-sync..
Starting a root shell on ttys3.
Starting the installer GUI - see tty2 (CRL+ALT+F2) for any errors...

Attachments

• IMG_7087 (2).jpeg
    IMG_7087 (2).jpeg
    297.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7085 (2).jpeg
    IMG_7085 (2).jpeg
    275.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Reactions: fabian

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!