Install Proxmox on partition?

robertboyer

Oct 11, 2022
I have a Dell workstation with Ubuntu installed on my 1 TB HDD
I want to install Proxmox without disturbing my current OS. So, I created a partition of 256 GB on the HDD intending to install Proxmox on the Partition.
When I loaded into the Proxmox installer, under the drives section of the installer It only shows the option to select the entirety of the HDD and I was unable to find an option for installing Proxmox on the partition I had created.

What are the best/simplest options for installing Proxmox only on a selected partition without overriding the entire disk?

So is there no way to use the installer usb? Would it be possible to install it on a usb first and then clone the usb to the partition I want proxmox on?

So is there no way to use the installer usb? Would it be possible to install it on a usb first and then clone the usb to the partition I want proxmox on?
The installer of the PVE Iso is very basic. If you need more options and features it would be better to use the Debian installer. The PVE installer can only work with entire disks and won't support any dual booting. And I don`t see the point cloning partitions when you could just install a Debian and turn it into a PVE later.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!