[SOLVED] local Storage Problem

alkinkasap

Aug 7, 2022
Solution: on datacenter/storage i added new lvm disk and chose vg0 (in my case) as volume group, that solved my problem.

Hi, ive installed proxmox on a server i rented from hetzner. When i was installing proxmox i set storage of ve as 32 gb, then i saw its space could easily filled up with backups and iso's i connected storagebox from hetzner and moved iso's and backups to there.

So far so good. The server i've rented has 2x1.92 tb of ssd and im totally sure i set them to raid 0. Today when i installed my 5th vm (as ct) all other vm's just stopped. When i tried restarting them that didnt helped and i got an error 500 saying disk is full. I checked 'local' disk and saw i was full. So i've deleted some vms etc and server returned to work normal. Screenshot (14).png

Then i checked lvm section to see my disks and this is the screenshot;
Screenshot (15).png

So i got a few questions regarding this;
How does local storage works? I mean when i have 4 tb of storage are my vm's going to use 32gb of local as storage? If this is the case im in a big problem and how may i change size of local storage?
On second screenshot it says i have 2 disks, does this screenshot confirms my server has 4tb of storage in total?
Is there any way i may add some part of my disks as a new storage device to proxmox server? (like i added hetzners storage service)

Thank you.

i forget to add servers drive status, as seen no 4tb or such thing is here;
Screenshot (16).png

Last edited:
Hello

You should have at least two types of storage in your "Datacenter/Storage" (see webGui) config. Or in your /etc/pve/storage.cfg: "local" and "local-lvm"

Code:
dir: local
    path /var/lib/vz
    content iso,backup,vztmpl

lvmthin: local-lvm
    thinpool data
    vgname pve
    content rootdir,images
[code]

You can check were your VMs are stored by selecting one in the webGUI then select "Hardware"
[ATTACH]40349[/ATTACH]
The prefix for the harddisk "local-lvm" or "local-sda" is the name of the storage used.  You can move disk from one storage to another by selecting one disk then go through "disk action/move storage" and then select a different target storage.

Attachments

• 1661409965610.png
    1661409965610.png
    57 KB · Views: 37
Hello

You should have at least two types of storage in your "Datacenter/Storage" (see webGui) config. Or in your /etc/pve/storage.cfg: "local" and "local-lvm"

Code:
dir: local
    path /var/lib/vz
    content iso,backup,vztmpl

thinpool data
    vgname pve
    content rootdir,images
[code]

You can check were your VMs are stored by selecting one in the webGUI then select "Hardware"
[ATTACH]40349[/ATTACH]
The prefix for the harddisk "local-lvm" or "local-sda" is the name of the storage used.  You can move disk from one storage to another by selecting one disk then go through "disk action/move storage" and then select a different target storage.
this is storage.cfg file;
dir: local path /var/lib/vz content iso,vztmpl,backup,images,rootdir,snippets prune-backups keep-all=1 cifs: dsa path /mnt/pve/dsa server ****.your-storagebox.de share backup content snippets,iso,vztmpl,backup,images,rootdir nodes Proxmox-VE prune-backups keep-all=1 username ***

and this is data center storage;
Screenshot (1).png

so it seems i am missing something right?

edit: ok, on datacenter/storage i added new lvm disk and chose vg0 (in my case) as volume group then i got 2 tb storage option so i learned the way to add local disk. the thing is i have 2 storage devices and set them as raid 0 when building server so it should've been 4 tb total. need to find out that as well.

Last edited:
Can you post the output of lsblk?
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT sda 8:0 1 1.7T 0 disk ├─sda1 8:1 1 512M 0 part │ └─md0 9:0 0 511M 0 raid1 /boot └─sda2 8:2 1 1.7T 0 part └─md1 9:1 0 1.7T 0 raid1 ├─vg0-root 253:0 0 30G 0 lvm / ├─vg0-swap 253:1 0 6G 0 lvm [SWAP] └─vg0-vm--4002--disk--0 253:2 0 240G 0 lvm sdb 8:16 1 1.7T 0 disk ├─sdb1 8:17 1 512M 0 part │ └─md0 9:0 0 511M 0 raid1 /boot └─sdb2 8:18 1 1.7T 0 part └─md1 9:1 0 1.7T 0 raid1 ├─vg0-root 253:0 0 30G 0 lvm / ├─vg0-swap 253:1 0 6G 0 lvm [SWAP] └─vg0-vm--4002--disk--0 253:2 0 240G 0 lvm

ok it seems ive set it as sw raid 1 which is bad for me. but i got the idea of setting lvm as storage option so thank you.

Last edited:
Looks like you are missing the LVM-Thin pool. You should add one using the remaining space of your VG and set it up as your VM/LXC storage.

Looks like you are missing the LVM-Thin pool. You should add one using the remaining space of your VG and set it up as your VM/LXC storage.
sorry i dont understand what you mean. when i try to add lvm-thin pool 'Thin Pool' is empty, also i dont know what it is good for.

You have two physical disks combined into mdraid.
On top of that md device you have vg0 Volume Group.
In that VG you have 3 Logical Volumes : root, swap, vm-4002

These disks/installation was clearly used previously for Proxmox. You do not have a reference to any LVM storage in your /etc/pve/storage.cfg but you have an LV that has a distinct name used by Proxmox.

It would be mildly curious to see the outputs of:
pvs, vgs, lvs

You can probably edit your /etc/pve/storage.cfg and place something like this there:
thinpool data
vgname vg0
content rootdir,images

But your installation seems to be fairly customized and without a completely picture of all pieces and history its hard to say exactly.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT sda 8:0 1 1.7T 0 disk ├─sda1 8:1 1 512M 0 part │ └─md0 9:0 0 511M 0 raid1 /boot └─sda2 8:2 1 1.7T 0 part └─md1 9:1 0 1.7T 0 raid1 ├─vg0-root 253:0 0 30G 0 lvm / ├─vg0-swap 253:1 0 6G 0 lvm [SWAP] └─vg0-vm--4002--disk--0 253:2 0 240G 0 lvm sdb 8:16 1 1.7T 0 disk ├─sdb1 8:17 1 512M 0 part │ └─md0 9:0 0 511M 0 raid1 /boot └─sdb2 8:18 1 1.7T 0 part └─md1 9:1 0 1.7T 0 raid1 ├─vg0-root 253:0 0 30G 0 lvm / ├─vg0-swap 253:1 0 6G 0 lvm [SWAP] └─vg0-vm--4002--disk--0 253:2 0 240G 0 lvm

ok it seems ive set it as sw raid 1 which is bad for me. but i got the idea of setting lvm as storage option so thank you.
dear, i have same issue can you help me

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!