Black screen on Proxmox 7.2 install

nyr

Jun 18, 2022
Hi,
i am trying to install Proxmox VE 7.2 on an old Dell 8700 with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1.0GB GDDR5 video card. The install gets pas the Grub then the video resolution changes, there's a command prompt with some activity, then it goes black.
i tried proxmox 6, it didn't help. i tried changing silent to nomodeset and that didn't help. Is there anything else i could try?

Last edited:
Could it be a drivers issue? I know Nvidia drivers are not in-kernel for Linux. If i buy a cheap Radeon card is there a good chance that would get around this problem?

Could it be a drivers issue?
Most likely. But I would expect nouveau to support a GTX 650 with at least 2D display output.
If i buy a cheap Radeon card is there a good chance that would get around this problem?
Maybe... It depends. The open-source radeon driver support is quite good and up to date, but you can only be sure after buying. If you intend to use passthrough later, it helps if you have two GPUs.
Alternatively: try the Debian installer (it's free, as in speech, and also free, as in beer). Does it give usable display output?

Most likely. But I would expect nouveau to support a GTX 650 with at least 2D display output.

Maybe... It depends. The open-source radeon driver support is quite good and up to date, but you can only be sure after buying. If you intend to use passthrough later, it helps if you have two GPUs.
Alternatively: try the Debian installer (it's free, as in speech, and also free, as in beer). Does it give usable display output?
I don't know where you get your beer, but you got my attention. Debian operating system I was able to install on this machine. And I just installed Ubuntu. The regular installation didn't work because of video, but when I used the display compatibility mode (I don't know what they call it), it worked fine, then I installed the Nvidia driver once the OS was up and running

Hey, i just got the same Problem today. Black screen, after an Commandline.
I updated Bios but it did not help, nomodeset also didn't help. I really don't wanna install linux on my own, is there any workaround that works?

HPE DL360 G7
2x Xeon 5649
44GB RAM

No GPU

I updated Bios but it did not help, nomodeset also didn't help. I really don't wanna install linux on my own, is there any workaround that works?

HPE DL360 G7
2x Xeon 5649
44GB RAM

No GPU
you can also try an older ISO to install it (e.g. PVE 7.1) and just upgrade the packages afterwards.

if that doesn't work, installing debian should not be very complicated (you can just use mostly the defaults in the netinstaller ISO) and add the proxmox repositories on top [0]

[0]: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_11_Bullseye

Im just the beginner with proxmox/linux stuff so go easy on me if I say something stupid :)
I had problem installing Proxmox on my computer too, old Alienware Alpha with GeForce GTX 860M. After a lot of research and trying diffrent things finally steps from this website helped:
https://robertoviola.cloud/2020/04/16/proxmox-no-screen-during-installation/
Because I have 4k TV connected to this computer I had to change
Code:
Modes     "1024x768"
to 4k resolution and it work, I was able to finish installation process.
Maybe this will help you.

Hello all!
I am wondering if this hilarious issue will ever be acknowledged or fixed by proxmox. No, I won't install debian first, as this is clearly an issue with the installer for many versions now.
I find it interesting how despite having 2 screens with different resolutions, I am not able to install proxmox, because the screen goes all black. The reason for this, is that it tries to output the image at "1024x768" (yes, I understand, this is mostly installed from remote consoles) and the screens simply can't work with that.
This has been happening since forever, please do something other than recommending Debian...
Also, in V7.2, after entering debug mode, there is no X11 under /etc. I have to get a THIRD screen to be able to install proxmox. (Dell T110 II, newest BIOS, with integrated graphics)
Thanks.

Reactions: TomFIT
Do you have any backing source for this?
Ubuntu had the same bug (it's the same kernel) and they fixed it with the newest iso. Therefore I imply that the next PVE iso, which will have also the newest kernel at that time, will not suffer from this problem anymore. Hopefully, they do not prove me wrong :p

Reactions: tunhube

HPE DL360 G7
2x Xeon 5649
44GB RAM

No GPU
i guess dl360 g7 may have same/similar videocard like dl380 g7 , so you may try the solution at https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4230#c7 and please report if it helps

I found a work around. When you go to install - select the advanced option, then install debug mode. It stops twice giving you a chance to change things.. dont.. just control+d.. on the second one it sets 1024X768 and the screen stays on for the install.

Reactions: zageyiff
I just had this same issue on a 4k monitor connected via older ATI Firepro v3700 and ASUS Sabertooth x58 motherboard. Initial command line and visual loader fine, then black screen. I connected a lower res monitor and it worked without adjusting modes. Latest Proxmox 7.3.

I had the same issue with Proxmox Installer 7.2, the screen resolution would go out of bound for the monitor. Proxmox 7.3 ISO install did fix this problem. This was on an old Dell PowerEdge R610.

P.S.
I found the Installation from Debian 11 Bullseye first (before this thread), but that created other issues with the Proxmox Installer, essentially failing because it could not find its private key in `/etc/pve/local/`

Martin Politick, December 2022

Reactions: tunhube

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!