Black screen on Proxmox 7.2 install

I found a work around. When you go to install - select the advanced option, then install debug mode. It stops twice giving you a chance to change things.. dont.. just control+d.. on the second one it sets 1024X768 and the screen stays on for the install.
I had the same issue with proxmox installer 7.3-1, and this solved my issue

I had the same issue with proxmox installer 7.3-1, and this solved my issue
I have a Dell 9020 SFF with an i7 4770 with AMD 8490 OEM PCI-E card. I have the same issue with 7.3-1. My UEFI, Ventoy and ProxMox install screen are squished on a 1080p monitor.

I am using a DVI to HDMI adapter so I am not sure this is adding issues on top. I tried the control-d but it only stops one time and when I control-d it blacks the screen.

Im just the beginner with proxmox/linux stuff so go easy on me if I say something stupid :)
I had problem installing Proxmox on my computer too, old Alienware Alpha with GeForce GTX 860M. After a lot of research and trying diffrent things finally steps from this website helped:
https://robertoviola.cloud/2020/04/16/proxmox-no-screen-during-installation/
Because I have 4k TV connected to this computer I had to change
Code:
Modes     "1024x768"
to 4k resolution and it work, I was able to finish installation process.
Maybe this will help you.
Hi, I am also having this issue with 7.3. Where do you make the resolution code change?

I found a work around. When you go to install - select the advanced option, then install debug mode. It stops twice giving you a chance to change things.. dont.. just control+d.. on the second one it sets 1024X768 and the screen stays on for the install.
Alas even in debug mode I get a black screen before it asks me anyting. I don't get any options to make any changes.

I saw on the boot in it said something about Nvidia drivers not able to set the pcie region (or something similar it went fast) so I got around this by going into the bios and forcing the PCIe mode to gen 3 and it worked fine for me.

Hi, I am having the same problem, proxmox installer gives me a black screen, I installed Debian and proxmox on top of it, and its works, but I can't access proxmox directly from the PC, after installing proxmox and restarting it got the black screen again
I have intel 12 gen, so it's a new PC, maybe i need drivers for intel graphics?

A bit of a similar situation here. Install for 7-4.1 here could not proceed on a B550-HDV with Ryzen 5600g. Always blocked on a black screen during the installation process. the machine locked up.
Finally reverted to using another P10S-WS and i3-7100 to install on an NVME drive. Moved the drive to the B550-HDV, but would not boot and give a black screen and lockup the machine.

Finally what somewhat worked :
  1. setting BIOS options disable CSM, enable IOMMU
  2. passing command line parameters: by pressing 'e' when in the grub boot menu (at the end of line starting with linux /... )
Code:
iommu=soft pci=noats acpi=off

and adding it to apply in grub.conf to make it persistent

It's possible that applying the parameters during installation might also work, but have not tried yet.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!