Proxmox VE7.1 Windows Server 2019 network card install error (Code: 56)

Swfty

Jan 23, 2021
Germany - Hungary
swifty.hu
Hi!

I have just struggled to set up a Windows 2019 Server evaluation version. I selected the q35 chipset and started the installer. Everything went fine, except that I could not set up any network card. Not even a E1000 or a Realtek card.

Finally, I found the solution.
I had to select a lower Machine version.
It did not work with 6.1, however it was ok with 5.1.

do you by any chance use a german (or non-english) ISO? if yes this seems to this behaviour: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/windows-server-2022-deutsch-netzwerk-startet-nicht.102528/
(there are more threads about this, i just found this one first)

a solution would be to use the english iso and install a language pack afterwards

i tried to debug it sometime ago, but it seems not really coming from the virtualization side (at least i could not identify an cause on our side for this)

Last edited:
the problem seems to be resolved with latest qemu 7.2 from pvetest repo. maybe somebody who has system with pvetest repo enabled can test with win 20xx and confirm ?

the problem seems to be resolved with latest qemu 7.2 from pvetest repo. maybe somebody who has system with pvetest repo enabled can test with win 20xx and confirm ?
managed a successful install of server 2022 with german iso and q35-7.2
E1000 worked out of the box

did you reboot after update to 7.3-6 ?

could you check if qemu package is at 7.2+ ?

please run another update from pvetest repo and reboot and retry.

if network still does not work, does that apply to all 3 types of network adapters?
do you still get that hang / yellow exclamation mark / code 56 error ?

I have this issue with a fresh installation of Win10 pro(German ISO) on a Proxmox 7.3-6.

I also read this (https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/windows-10-no-network-card-machine-q35.103361/)
But this is not that clear for me.
I tried VirtIO 1.217 as well as 1.229. And also any HW Virtualization of Networkcards.
Would happy if anyone could help me.
in addition to what RolandK wrote: have you downloaded the most current Win10 installer ISO? Microsoft re-releases them frequently, i think this is part of the solution.

did you reboot after update to 7.3-6 ?

could you check if qemu package is at 7.2+ ?
I not did an upgrade the 7.3-6 is a fresh installation.

in addition to what RolandK wrote: have you downloaded the most current Win10 installer ISO? Microsoft re-releases them frequently, i think this is part of the solution.
no i didn't I used my own (verz old) CD to create the ISO.

OK. Will try this first!

Ok, tried with a fresh U.S. Image and worked out of the box without any trouble! Thanks for this hint!

u.s. / english iso hasn't this bug (old or new iso or old or new pve..)
if you can share information about your german Windows version, for eg. with winntsetup, just selecting the iso without start install will give exact build version.

Ok, the correct version of my german iso is 10.0.19041.
But as I said for me it is fine. The only reason using the this one was, because I had it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!