Bind SMB/CIFS mount point or priviliged LXC with CIFS Utils?

+DS_DV+

Feb 9, 2020
Hello fellow Proxmox enthusiasts,
I want to set up a few LXC containers which need to access network shares (SMB/CIFS).
I noticed that in order to get them working I need a privileged container with CIFS enabled.

Is it a better method to mount the network share in proxmox and bind the mount point to the LXC container?

With kind regards

hi,

bind mounts are the preferred/recommended method.

using privileged containers is also discouraged for security

Last edited:
Reactions: +DS_DV+
hi,

bind mounts are the preferred/recommended method.

using privileged containers is also discouraged for security
ok.
when i do cifs inside LXC i can use "virtual interconencts" instead of using real lan.
how can i do that to mount a cifs share to proxmox which is hosted from a vm ?

also: how can i add a cifs share without selecting a content type? (since its just for binding to lxc)

Last edited:
also: how can i add a cifs share without selecting a content type? (since its just for binding to lxc)

I use NFS in this way, I've manually edited storage.cfg and added

content none

You'll be alerted by PVE that the storage does not support that content type. You can ignore it, the VMs and containers will boot fine.

Maybe I aught to submit a feature request since bindmounts are the preferred/recommended method for CIFS/NFS mounting within unprivileged containers -- these storage types should be permissible for content type none.

Id also like the ability to hide those storage types from the PVE GUI panel @ each node. While I like being able to see, add, edit, etc. storages within the Datacenter -- i dont particularly need to see these bindmount exports appear at each node. But it all works fine otherwise, its just my minimal taste :)

Reactions: +DS_DV+

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!