Send CTRL+ALT+F1

FinnTux

Renowned Member
Aug 4, 2011
Hello,

I noticed VM console window now has Start, Stop etc buttons to control the VM. Thats a great feature. How about sending key combinations other that CAD? At least CTRL+ALT+F1(-F4) would be useful. That would make it possible to switch to another virtual terminal on linux consoles.

I actually figured out a way to add "CAF1" button to the menu. While adding "CAF2" and "CAF7" buttons I realized that "Send Key" button like described in the above bug report (feature request) is much better way to do it.

Altough I'd like to see a fix to the TAB problem in linux desktops first...

Altough I'd like to see a fix to the TAB problem in linux desktops first...

Someone needs to find the difference why it´s working on Windows and not on Linux. (Most times it´s the opposite...)

Someone needs to find the difference why it´s working on Windows and not on Linux. (Most times it´s the opposite...)
Please, can you give me some pointers to start searching? What code is involved for that bug?
Thank you

Sorry, but I could not verfiy it.

Yesterday "TAB didn't work n Linux (Windows not tested) now I want to verify it and it worked on Linux and Windows.

So forget it

Best Regards
Nico

We use the tigervnc java console, and qemu-kvm as vnc server.
Ok, I tried the proxmox '/usr/share/vncterm/VncViewer.jar' (tigervnc) to connect to a VNC server and the TAB key behaves correctly.
So the problem must be in 'pvemanagerlib.js'. I can suggest a workaround:
Edit file '/usr/share/pve-manager/ext4/pvemanagerlib.js'
at line 1842
for the applet parameter 'Show Controls' change the value from 'No' to 'Yes'
before:
Code:
{tag: 'param', name: 'Show Controls', value: 'No'}
after:
Code:
{tag: 'param', name: 'Show Controls', value: 'Yes'}
Now TAB works from Linux desktop. The side effect is to show the applet controls.
For me this is much more acceptable than having TAB not working from Linux desktop (using Windows only to connect to ProxMox console was not a valid option).

Last edited by a moderator:
For me this is much more acceptable than having TAB not working from Linux desktop (using Windows only to connect to ProxMox console was not a valid option).

Same here. Working TAB is a must in the console and I rarely have windows desktop in front of me. Thanks.

for the applet parameter 'Show Controls' change the value from 'No' to 'Yes'

Interesting, but I do not understand why that influences the behavior of the tab key? Any ideas? Please can you ask on the tigervnc lists if anybody there can explain the behavior?

...Please can you ask on the tigervnc lists if anybody there can explain the behavior?
I'm not completely sure that is an applet fault. As I already wrote, the applet alone seems to work correctly.
The command:
$ java -jar VncViewer.jar HOST <host> PORT <port> "Show controls" No
gives me a VNC viewer without controls and with working TAB key.
Maybe the problem is coming from your "js code" interacting with the applet.

Maybe the problem is coming from your "js code" interacting with the applet.

How I can influence keypress behaviour of java applets from outside???

Anyways, I will do a code review tomorrow - maybe I can find something related.

I can confirm this, setting this value to yes leads to a working tab on Linux. Lets see.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!