Configuration & Smarthost

JonAnder

Jul 30, 2021
Hi,
I´ve put the next configuration in the Mail Proxy (the attached files / The other sites have the default configuration) and the problem is that the email root@jonander.xyz can´t receive any mail but it can send, the port 25 is open so I think that is a configuration problem in the proxmox server.

Aside from this I don´t know what to put in Smarthost.

Attachments

• Foto1.png
    Foto1.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Foto2.png
    Foto2.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 32
  • Foto3.png
    Foto3.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Foto4.png
    Foto4.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 33
Well, how did you test the receiving? Connecting directly to the PMG on port 25 and sending emails or just by sending emails from another account?

If it is the latter, you will probably need to adjust the DNS entries, first the MX record is pointing to mail.jonander.xyz. If I connect to port 25 on that, I don't get any connection up an running.

Well, how did you test the receiving? Connecting directly to the PMG on port 25 and sending emails or just by sending emails from another account?

If it is the latter, you will probably need to adjust the DNS entries, first the MX record is pointing to mail.jonander.xyz. If I connect to port 25 on that, I don't get any connection up an running.
So, what I have to change?

So, what I have to change?
You have to make sure that the DNS chain that points to your PMG installation works.
An external mail server, which is about to send an email to your domain, first looks up the MX record.

The MX record usually points to an A record. The A record then points to the actual IP address under which the mail server (PMG in this case) can be reached.

Code:
# dig +noall +answer mx jonander.xyz
jonander.xyz.        1761    IN    MX    10 mail.jonander.xyz.
-> MX record points to mail.jonander.xyz

Code:
# dig +noall +answer mail.jonander.xyz
mail.jonander.xyz.    1800    IN    A    47.58.90.252
mail.jonander.xyz points to 47.58.90.252

Testing for an open port 25 (smtp) on that IP:
Code:
# nc -z 47.58.90.252 25
47-58-90-252.red-acceso.airtel.net [47.58.90.252] 25 (smtp) : Connection timed out
It is not possible to open a connection on that port.

We cannot tell what the actual cause is. It might be a wrong DNS entry, pointing to the wrong IP address. It could be a missing firewall / router config that would forward that port correctly or a combination.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!