pass drives through for TrueNAS or not

magnethead

Jul 9, 2021
Hi there,
I am new to Proxmox, first post here.
I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction, I have a good machine i9, 64Gig of RAM. I have 4 ssd's in a Z2 array to hold my VM's...and 2 8Gig mechanical drives for my NAS. I'm hosting TrueNAS as a VM and passing the 2 8Gig drives through as a mirror for TrueNAS.
Is this the right way to do it, or should I just make ZFS pool in Proxmox and give that to FreeNAS instead of passing through the drives (I'm just guessing passing through the drives would be faster access)?

I plan to host a heap of VM's and I guess that NAS space will be used for plex movies, etc...

Thanks for any replies.

Hi there,
I am new to Proxmox, first post here.
I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction, I have a good machine i9, 64Gig of RAM. I have 4 ssd's in a Z2 array to hold my VM's...and 2 8Gig mechanical drives for my NAS. I'm hosting TrueNAS as a VM and passing the 2 8Gig drives through as a mirror for TrueNAS.
Is this the right way to do it, or should I just make ZFS pool in Proxmox and give that to FreeNAS instead of passing through the drives (I'm just guessing passing through the drives would be faster access)?

I plan to host a heap of VM's and I guess that NAS space will be used for plex movies, etc...

Thanks for any replies.
You can't bind-mount anything from the host to a VM so there is no way to directly access a hosts ZFS pool from inside a TrueNAS VM.
And "qm set" passthrough isn't real passthrough. That way you are still working with virtual disks because there is virtio between your VM and physical drives causing overhead.
If you want no overhead you need to PCI passthrough a HBA with all its ports and drives attached to it into your VM. That way your VM could directly and physically access the drives.

Thanks for your reply, I should have being more clear, the 2 8 gig drives, are on PCI passthrough (scratching my head for 4 hours before I found VT-D switch in the bios :) ), I got the help from this techno Tim YouTube
Techno TIm NAS

I only set this up last week for the first time and now I see that there is a Version 7 of proxmox just released LOL... I haven't got too far yet, so I'm going to wipe and re-install now.

I'm loving this Proxmox software....Absolutely perfect for the HomeServer.

Thanks for your reply, I should have being more clear, the 2 8 gig drives, are on PCI passthrough (scratching my head for 4 hours before I found VT-D switch in the bios :) )
Then that should already be the best way to do it.
I only set this up last week for the first time and now I see that there is a Version 7 of proxmox just released LOL... I haven't got too far yet, so I'm going to wipe and re-install now.
I would wait 2 weeks so that the biggest bugs get fixed first and then just upgrade from 6.4 to 7.0.

Reactions: magnethead

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!