We are sorry to hear about your experience. If there are any bugs in our Proxmox modules, they should be fixed, with no doubt. Please reach out to our support team at https://www.modulesgarden.com/support/ticket/general-support so we can assist you further and hopefully eliminate any obstacles.

With reference to the cloud-init support, we would love to have this option working and available, but currently this is beyond our control. As soon as it available, we will definitely equip our modules with this feature. We have attempted to create some sort of workaround with utilization of qemu quest agent, until cloudbase-init becomes possible to implement.
Many of the issues that I raised with support have been resolved and overall your support team is excellent (details below about what is not great)

During my setup I had to apply the patch within this thread to get this working with your module and whmcs and its working well, your support team did provide me with details on how to get it working without this and I'll reach out to support next week for assistance.

My new EPYC server should arrive on Monday / Tuesday and once its racked I can test.

Now for my gripe and complaint about Modules Garden - I know this isnt the place to complain but sometimes some pressure on a public forum gets things done.

You advertise the products reseller as being 100% ready for your proxmox module but its far from that.
I logged a ticket last year about the lack of functionality with the module which is preventing us from reselling vps servers and I was told to wait, then told to wait, then told wait some more.

Its been almost a year that I've waited for your team to attend to this and there is no urgency or commitment at all.
I consider myself a valued client having owned well over 15 owned licenses with active support but the way this has been handled is unacceptable.

I mailed Konrad hoping that this would expedite the matter and sadly not.

Thank you very much for your honest comment, nothing helps us to improve our products quite as much as constructive customer feedback. No less sincerely, we also are sorry to hear that you are not yet fully satisfied with our service. We stand resolute to do everything within our powers to give our customers the high-quality support they deserve.

As for your complain, we will release the next major update of Products Reseller For WHMCS yet in June, with an addition of quite a few totally new features. Among them will be the long-awaited support for configurable options. The long turnaround for this particular functionality is mainly due to the very extensive release roadmap of this product. Still and all, we are confident that Products Reseller for WHMCS does a great job in reselling the Proxmox VPS servers without any hassle, especially given that we are working actively on further developing the integration of those modules in the next updates.

I'm trying to apply this to my PROXMOX hosts but the code seems to have changed, can a PROXMOX staff member confirm this? I'm running the below on two nodes. That said, neither hostname or password works, any ideas?

Code:
# pveversion --verbose
proxmox-ve: 6.4-1 (running kernel: 5.4.114-1-pve)
pve-manager: 6.4-8 (running version: 6.4-8/185e14db)
pve-kernel-5.4: 6.4-2
pve-kernel-helper: 6.4-2
pve-kernel-5.4.114-1-pve: 5.4.114-1
pve-kernel-5.4.106-1-pve: 5.4.106-1

Thank you very much for your honest comment, nothing helps us to improve our products quite as much as constructive customer feedback. No less sincerely, we also are sorry to hear that you are not yet fully satisfied with our service. We stand resolute to do everything within our powers to give our customers the high-quality support they deserve.

As for your complain, we will release the next major update of Products Reseller For WHMCS yet in June, with an addition of quite a few totally new features. Among them will be the long-awaited support for configurable options. The long turnaround for this particular functionality is mainly due to the very extensive release roadmap of this product. Still and all, we are confident that Products Reseller for WHMCS does a great job in reselling the Proxmox VPS servers without any hassle, especially given that we are working actively on further developing the integration of those modules in the next updates.
When in June are you planning on releasing this new version? I've been waiting for that before integrating to whmcs.

Hi,

Any updates on the proxmox side and Modulesgarden side?

I just bought the WHMCS license and I just found that this issue persist.

Please fix it.

Reactions: vanttech
When in June are you planning on releasing this new version? I've been waiting for that before integrating to whmcs.

The brand-new 1.2.0 version of Products Reseller For WHMCS was released last week. If we can offer some advice, we'd strongly encourage you to follow our social media profiles and subscribe to our newsletter to make sure that you are up to speed with all the latest developments.

Hi,

Any updates on the proxmox side and Modulesgarden side?

I just bought the WHMCS license and I just found that this issue persist.

Please fix it.

When it comes to Cloud-init support in our Proxmox modules, there still appears to be very little we can do until Proxmox introduces official changes in this regard.

The brand-new 1.2.0 version of Products Reseller For WHMCS was released last week. If we can offer some advice, we'd strongly encourage you to follow our social media profiles and subscribe to our newsletter to make sure that you are up to speed with all the latest developments.

When it comes to Cloud-init support in our Proxmox modules, there still appears to be very little we can do until Proxmox introduces official changes in this regard.

Unfortunately I have to agree with this, even in version 6.4-1 I still had to modify the perl scripts to get cloud-init working with Windows. Aside of that be aware the instructions in this post fail to provide a Windows cloud.init.conf file that works correctly. That said I was able to finally comprise one that works and will add it to this thread sometime today.

Unfortunately I have to agree with this, even in version 6.4-1 I still had to modify the perl scripts to get cloud-init working with Windows. Aside of that be aware the instructions in this post fail to provide a Windows cloud.init.conf file that works correctly. That said I was able to finally comprise one that works and will add it to this thread sometime today.
What was your comprise to getting windows to provision if not to edit the files? Would you mind posting a little how-to guide for it?

Here is the config that got me going for Windows 10 specifically.

cloudbase-init.conf

Code:
[DEFAULT]
username=Admin
groups=Administrators
netbios_host_name_compatibility=true
inject_user_password=true
first_logon_behaviour=true
config_drive_raw_hhd=true
config_drive_cdrom=true
config_drive_vfat=true
locations=cdroom
bsdtar_path=C:\Program Files\Cloudbase Solutions\Cloudbase-Init\bin\bsdtar.exe
mtools_path=C:\Program Files\Cloudbase Solutions\Cloudbase-Init\bin\
metadata_services=cloudbaseinit.metadata.services.configdrive.ConfigDriveService
verbose=true
debug=true
enable_automatic_updates=true
logdir=C:\Program Files\Cloudbase Solutions\Cloudbase-Init\log\
logfile=cloudbase-init.log
default_log_levels=comtypes=INFO,suds=INFO,iso8601=WARN,requests=WARN
logging_serial_port_settings=COM1,115200,N,8
mtu_use_dhcp_config=true
ntp_use_dhcp_config=true
local_scripts_path=C:\Program Files\Cloudbase Solutions\Cloudbase-Init\LocalScripts\
plugins=plugins = cloudbaseinit.plugins.common.mtu.MTUPlugin, cloudbaseinit.plugins.windows.ntpclient.NTPClientPlugin, cloudbaseinit.plugins.common.sethostname.SetHostNamePlugin, cloudbaseinit.plugins.windows.createuser.CreateUserPlugin, cloudbaseinit.plugins.common.networkconfig.NetworkConfigPlugin, cloudbaseinit.plugins.windows.licensing.WindowsLicensingPlugin, cloudbaseinit.plugins.common.sshpublickeys.SetUserSSHPublicKeysPlugin, cloudbaseinit.plugins.windows.extendvolumes.ExtendVolumesPlugin, cloudbaseinit.plugins.common.userdata.UserDataPlugin, cloudbaseinit.plugins.common.setuserpassword.SetUserPasswordPlugin, cloudbaseinit.plugins.windows.winrmlistener.ConfigWinRMListenerPlugin, cloudbaseinit.plugins.windows.winrmcertificateauth.ConfigWinRMCertificateAuthPlugin, cloudbaseinit.plugins.common.localscripts.LocalScriptsPlugin
allow_reboot=true
stop_service_on_exit=false
check_latest_version=true

cloudbase-init-unattend.conf

Code:
[DEFAULT]
username=Admin
groups=Administrators
inject_user_password=false
config_drive_cdrom=true
config_drive_vfat=true
verbose=true
debug=true
logfile=cloudbase-init-unattend.log
mtu_use_dhcp_config=true
ntp_use_dhcp_config=true
local_scripts_path=C:\Program Files\Cloudbase Solutions\Cloudbase-Init\LocalScripts\
check_latest_version=false
metadata_services=cloudbaseinit.metadata.services.configdrive.ConfigDriveService,cloudbaseinit.metadata.services.httpservice.HttpService,cloudbaseinit.metadata.services.ec2service.EC2Service,cloudbaseinit.metadata.services.maasservice.MaaSHttpService
plugins=cloudbaseinit.plugins.common.mtu.MTUPlugin,cloudbaseinit.plugins.common.sethostname.SetHostNamePlugin,cloudbaseinit.plugins.windows.extendvolumes.ExtendVolumesPlugin
allow_reboot=true

I'm open to advice on how to improve those, that said this got my settings applied just the way I like it. That said I managed the DNS setup with a one-time scheduled task that runs a powershell script on user logon and sets the correct DNS.

hi,I am use pve 7.0-8, i have change /usr/share/perl5/PVE/API2/Qemu.pm & /usr/share/perl5/PVE/QemuServer/Cloudinit.pm but the passwd still ciphertext

hi,I am use pve 7.0-8, i have change /usr/share/perl5/PVE/API2/Qemu.pm & /usr/share/perl5/PVE/QemuServer/Cloudinit.pm but the passwd still ciphertext
I realized the hard way that this won't work on PVE7, something changed with the way the Proxmox team adjusted the code in Qemu.pm that makes the if clause not to find a match. I've been looking into it and reading other functions on the file to get a sense of declaration etc, tried making a small adjustment on the line that loads the config but no mojo there. can anyone from Proxmox staff please take a quick at this? I thought this would be implemented in the code for PVE7 according o this post but it doesn't seem to be the case. Cloud-init works for Windows with that simple IF clause. Is the level of effort too high to implement this change into production? If so I'll be happy to pay for one of the devs 2 hrs rate to get it done.

I realized the hard way that this won't work on PVE7, something changed with the way the Proxmox team adjusted the code in Qemu.pm that makes the if clause not to find a match. I've been looking into it and reading other functions on the file to get a sense of declaration etc, tried making a small adjustment on the line that loads the config but no mojo there. can anyone from Proxmox staff please take a quick at this? I thought this would be implemented in the code for PVE7 according o this post but it doesn't seem to be the case. Cloud-init works for Windows with that simple IF clause. Is the level of effort too high to implement this change into production? If so I'll be happy to pay for one of the devs 2 hrs rate to get it done.
Back on my own track I did a lot of testing, I'm as proficient with Perl as my 2 year old Pomeranian pup, so this might not be pretty or the best way but boy oh boy I tried calling Proxmox functions and after reading a whole lot and at least for Windows10 this works for me to not encrypt the password and I was able to get it working. I will install a Server 2019 VM later and see what the ostype is in the vm config, anyways this works at least until someone from Proxmox Staff looks into this thread.

Perl:
    my $conf = PVE::QemuConfig->load_config($vmid);
    my $ostype = $conf->{ostype};
    if (defined(my $cipassword = $param->{cipassword})) {

if ($ostype !~ m/win/) {
        $param->{cipassword} = PVE::Tools::encrypt_pw($cipassword)
        if $cipassword !~ /^\$(?:[156]|2[ay])(\$.+){2}/;
    }
    }

Back on my own track I did a lot of testing, I'm as proficient with Perl as my 2 year old Pomeranian pup, so this might not be pretty or the best way but boy oh boy I tried calling Proxmox functions and after reading a whole lot and at least for Windows10 this works for me to not encrypt the password and I was able to get it working. I will install a Server 2019 VM later and see what the ostype is in the vm config, anyways this works at least until someone from Proxmox Staff looks into this thread.

Perl:

if ($ostype !~ m/win/) {
    }
    }

Tested this on a Windows 2019 template. It doesn't appear to be applying any of the settings. When I watch the cloud-init output on the console I'm seeing the following error when the network plugin goes to run:

Code:
2021-09-07 19:36:38.193 4008 INFO cloudbaseinit.init [-] Executing plugins for stage 'MAIN':
2021-09-07 19:36:38.193 4008 INFO cloudbaseinit.init [-] Executing plugin 'NetworkConfigPlugin'
2021-09-07 19:36:38.208 4008 INFO cloudbaseinit.metadata.services.baseopenstackservice [-] V2 network metadata not found
2021-09-07 19:36:38.208 4008 DEBUG cloudbaseinit.metadata.services.base [-] Using cached copy of metadata: 'openstack/latest/meta_data.json' _get_cache_data C:\Program Files\Cloudbase Solutions\Cloudbase-Init\Python\lib\site-packages\cloudbaseinit\metadata\services\base.py:74
2021-09-07 19:36:38.208 4008 INFO cloudbaseinit.utils.debiface [-] Parsing Debian config...
  auto lo
 iface lo inet loopback

dns-nameservers 4.2.2.1
  dns-search test.local
auto eth0
 iface eth0 inet static
address 10.69.60.100
netmask 255.255.252.0
gateway 10.69.60.1

2021-09-07 19:36:38.208 4008 DEBUG cloudbaseinit.utils.debiface [-] Found new interface: {'name': None, 'mac': None, 'address': None, 'address6': None, 'netmask': None, 'netmask6': None, 'broadcast': None, 'gateway': None, 'gateway6': None, 'dnsnameservers': ['4.2.2.1']} _add_nic C:\Program Files\Cloudbase Solutions\Cloudbase-Init\Python\lib\site-packages\cloudbaseinit\utils\debiface.py:104
2021-09-07 19:36:38.224 4008 DEBUG cloudbaseinit.utils.debiface [-] Found new interface: {'name': 'eth0', 'mac': None, 'address': '10.69.60.100', 'address6': None, 'netmask': '255.255.252.0', 'netmask6': None, 'broadcast': None, 'gateway': '10.69.60.1', 'gateway6': None, 'dnsnameservers': None} _add_nic C:\Program Files\Cloudbase Solutions\Cloudbase-Init\Python\lib\site-packages\cloudbaseinit\utils\debiface.py:104
2021-09-07 19:36:38.224 4008 DEBUG cloudbaseinit.utils.classloader [-] Loading class 'cloudbaseinit.osutils.windows.WindowsUtils' load_class C:\Program Files\Cloudbase Solutions\Cloudbase-Init\Python\lib\site-packages\cloudbaseinit\utils\classloader.py:27
2021-09-07 19:36:38.599 4008 ERROR cloudbaseinit.init [-] plugin 'NetworkConfigPlugin' failed with error '<x_wmi: Critical error  (-2147217398, 'Critical error ', (0, None, 'Critical error ', None, None, -2147217398), None)>': wmi.x_wmi: <x_wmi: Critical error  (-2147217398, 'Critical error ', (0, None, 'Critical error ', None, None, -2147217398), None)>
2021-09-07 19:36:38.630 4008 ERROR cloudbaseinit.init [-] <x_wmi: Critical error  (-2147217398, 'Critical error ', (0, None, 'Critical error ', None, None, -2147217398), None)>: wmi.x_wmi: <x_wmi: Critical error  (-2147217398, 'Critical error ', (0, None, 'Critical error ', None, None, -2147217398), None)>
2021-09-07 19:36:38.630 4008 ERROR cloudbaseinit.init Traceback (most recent call last):
2021-09-07 19:36:38.630 4008 ERROR cloudbaseinit.initFile "C:\Program Files\Cloudbase Solutions\Cloudbase-Init\Python\lib\site-packages\wmi\__init__.py", line 112, in func_wrapper
2021-09-07 19:36:38.630 4008 ERROR cloudbaseinit.init return func(*args, **kwargs)
2021-09-07 19:36:38.630 4008 ERROR cloudbaseinit.initFile "C:\Program Files\Cloudbase Solutions\Cloudbase-Init\Python\lib\site-packages\wmi\__init__.py", line 62, in wrapper
2021-09-07 19:36:38.630 4008 ERROR cloudbaseinit.init return f(*args, **kwargs)
2021-09-07 19:36:38.630 4008 ERROR cloudbaseinit.initFile "C:\Program Files\Cloudbase Solutions\Cloudbase-Init\Python\lib\site-packages\wmi\__init__.py", line 644, in query
2021-09-07 19:36:38.630 4008 ERROR cloudbaseinit.init return self._get_instances(q)
2021-09-07 19:36:38.630 4008 ERROR cloudbaseinit.initFile "C:\Program Files\Cloudbase Solutions\Cloudbase-Init\Python\lib\site-packages\wmi\__init__.py", line 605, in _get_instances
2021-09-07 19:36:38.630 4008 ERROR cloudbaseinit.init i = op.get_next_instance()
2021-09-07 19:36:38.630 4008 ERROR cloudbaseinit.init PyMI.error: {'error_code': 2147749898, 'mi_result': 1, 'message': 'Critical error '}
2021-09-07 19:36:38.630 4008 ERROR cloudbaseinit.init
2021-09-07 19:36:38.630 4008 ERROR cloudbaseinit.init During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:
2021-09-07 19:36:38.630 4008 ERROR cloudbaseinit.init Traceback (most recent call last):
2021-09-07 19:36:38.630 4008 ERROR cloudbaseinit.initFile "C:\Program Files\Cloudbase Solutions\Cloudbase-Init\Python\lib\site-packages\cloudbaseinit\init.py", line 67, in _exec_plugin
2021-09-07 19:36:38.630 4008 ERROR cloudbaseinit.init shared_data)
2021-09-07 19:36:38.630 4008 ERROR cloudbaseinit.initFile "C:\Program Files\Cloudbase Solutions\Cloudbase-Init\Python\lib\site-packages\cloudbaseinit\plugins\common\networkconfig.py", line 311, in execute
2021-09-07 19:36:38.630 4008 ERROR cloudbaseinit.init return self._process_network_details(network_details)
2021-09-07 19:36:38.630 4008 ERROR cloudbaseinit.initFile "C:\Program Files\Cloudbase Solutions\Cloudbase-Init\Python\lib\site-packages\cloudbaseinit\plugins\common\networkconfig.py", line 128, in _process_network_details
2021-09-07 19:36:38.630 4008 ERROR cloudbaseinit.init network_adapters = osutils.get_network_adapters()
2021-09-07 19:36:38.630 4008 ERROR cloudbaseinit.initFile "C:\Program Files\Cloudbase Solutions\Cloudbase-Init\Python\lib\site-packages\cloudbaseinit\osutils\windows.py", line 773, in get_network_adapters
2021-09-07 19:36:38.630 4008 ERROR cloudbaseinit.init q = conn.query(wql)
2021-09-07 19:36:38.630 4008 ERROR cloudbaseinit.initFile "C:\Program Files\Cloudbase Solutions\Cloudbase-Init\Python\lib\site-packages\wmi\__init__.py", line 125, in func_wrapper
2021-09-07 19:36:38.630 4008 ERROR cloudbaseinit.init raise x_wmi(err_msg, com_ex)
2021-09-07 19:36:38.630 4008 ERROR cloudbaseinit.init wmi.x_wmi: <x_wmi: Critical error  (-2147217398, 'Critical error ', (0, None, 'Critical error ', None, None, -2147217398), None)>

btw ostype that I'm using for Windows Server 2019 is Win10.

Last edited:
Can you see the content of the configdrive2? Check and see if the metadata is being written correctly. I still have some issues with the password not being properly applied but in windows 2019 std I was able to make all other changes.

Apologies for not responding sooner. The last server that arrived went into prod for a new linux beta so we have not managed to retest the suggested changes as previously advised.

Regarding the questions about Modules Garden Reseller, they did finally release an update and it allows reselling of Proxmox VPS and it works great, thanks to the team at Modules Garden for all the hard work.

Onto deploying Windows with WHMCS, new server arrives tomorrow so I should get it setup at the data center on Friday and then play over the weekend.

Will update this thread as an when info is available.

Having issues getting it to set the password. network and everything else is fine.

Is there also a way to set it so it can do a first boot again without having to keep cloning all the time?

I am still having problems getting gues server 2019 to change passwords, the network is fine without issues and i have followed the guide to a T

I am still having problems getting gues server 2019 to change passwords, the network is fine without issues and i have followed the guide to a T
Did you do the last modification to the Perl code as I posted earlier in this thread? Also when creating your VM you need to make sure that you select Windows 10/2016/2019 to be the OS, otherwise the value written to the .conf file of the vm will not match what the code is looking for.

Code:

if ($ostype !~ m/win/) {
    }
    }

Now to your earlier question:
Having issues getting it to set the password. network and everything else is fine.

Is there also a way to set it so it can do a first boot again without having to keep cloning all the time?

If you just want to make Cloudinit to run again without doing sysprep/cloning you can, just go to the registry and delete the key Cloudbase-Init.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cloudbase Solutions\Cloudbase-Init

Reboot the computer and remember to open the xterm.js terminal to see the output.

Apologies for not responding sooner. The last server that arrived went into prod for a new linux beta so we have not managed to retest the suggested changes as previously advised.

Regarding the questions about Modules Garden Reseller, they did finally release an update and it allows reselling of Proxmox VPS and it works great, thanks to the team at Modules Garden for all the hard work.

Onto deploying Windows with WHMCS, new server arrives tomorrow so I should get it setup at the data center on Friday and then play over the weekend.

Will update this thread as an when info is available.
What changes if any did the new module release had in it in regards to provisioning Windows hosts?

Managed to get it working but when i do a sysprep and boot for the first time its asking me to create a new password on the VNC

I have this enabled.

first_logon_behaviour=false

This is my code

Code:
[DEFAULT]
username=Administrator
groups=Administrators
netbios_host_name_compatibility=true
first_logon_behaviour=false
config_drive_cdrom=true
config_drive_vfat=true
locations=cdroom
metadata_services=cloudbaseinit.metadata.services.configdrive.ConfigDriveService
verbose=true
debug=true
enable_automatic_updates=true
logfile=cloudbase-init.log
mtu_use_dhcp_config=true
ntp_use_dhcp_config=true
plugins=plugins = cloudbaseinit.plugins.common.mtu.MTUPlugin, cloudbaseinit.plugins.windows.ntpclient.NTPClientPlugin, cloudbaseinit.plugins.common.sethostname.SetHostNamePlugin, cloudbaseinit.plugins.windows.createuser.CreateUserPlugin, cloudbaseinit.plugins.common.networkconfig.NetworkConfigPlugin, cloudbaseinit.plugins.windows.licensing.WindowsLicensingPlugin, cloudbaseinit.plugins.common.sshpublickeys.SetUserSSHPublicKeysPlugin, cloudbaseinit.plugins.windows.extendvolumes.ExtendVolumesPlugin, cloudbaseinit.plugins.common.userdata.UserDataPlugin, cloudbaseinit.plugins.common.setuserpassword.SetUserPasswordPlugin, cloudbaseinit.plugins.windows.winrmlistener.ConfigWinRMListenerPlugin, cloudbaseinit.plugins.windows.winrmcertificateauth.ConfigWinRMCertificateAuthPlugin, cloudbaseinit.plugins.common.localscripts.LocalScriptsPlugin
allow_reboot=false
check_latest_version=true

Can anyone help on this?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!