Weak performance Win10 (20 cores and 32GB)

moreplavec

Feb 28, 2020
Greetings,

i have old small HP server with CPU E3-1265L V2 @ 2.50GHz (8 cores) and 4GB RAM. I use Proxmox 6.1, installed Win10 + Ubuntu server and all works just fine. Sometimes i run some Ubuntu server distro and for years no problem.

Recently i bought full server HP ProLiant ML350p Gen8 with 2 CPUs E5-2650L v2 @ 1.70GHz (20 cores each) and 128GB RAM. I used Proxmox too, installed Win10 but can't get the system so responsive and fluid as on the old server. I set 32GB RAM, 20 cores (2 sockets, 10 cores), but i still get not fast and responsive system. I think there is some catch in settings, maybe wrong processor type selected in config or so. My setup for Win10:

server_-_Proxmox_Virtual_Environment.png

Do you have any tips what to try or to set to get very fast system? In general server is stable, all virtuals work fine, but slow.

2 CPUs E5-2650L v2 @ 1.70GHz (20 cores each)
wrong. You have 10 Cores each:
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...processor-e5-2650l-v2-25m-cache-1-70-ghz.html
20 Threads != 20C. That is a difference!

Also you have almost 1 GHz less per core. So your expectations are already off-board. Most programs are using single-threads. So multiple CPUs will not provide that much benefit in a lot of situations.

Additional: You have 2 CPUs, so you need to be aware of NUMA, and so on.

Here is what I would do:
1. Reduce number of vCPUs in your VM. Maximum is 16 from my perspecitve. Yes I know, it is less than the physical processors. It is on purpose! You have likely scheduling issues with the host.
2. configure your VM to NUMA. Use 2x 8C as processors. Through enabling NUMA the physical processor architecture is exposed to your guest.

If that does not help, reduce further down to 1x10 Core (assigning one socket).
If that does not help. Get yourself a higher clocking cpu

Good luck

Last edited:
Also you are using SATA emulation for your virtual hard disk, virtio would be better. Also you haven't told us what your storage setup is and that can have a massive impact on VM performance.

... and make sure you
- disable all sleep states / power-saving / speed step in BIOS
- enable WIndows 10 Performance power plan

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!