Creating OpenVZ Templates

rlocone

Apr 9, 2011
Kokomo, Indiana, United States
Hello All,

I'm attempting to create a template. Wanting to install a Linux firewall into an OpenVZ Container. The firewall software has no template and is in ISO format. I was attempting to figure this out myself by searching the web. There few sites that pointed me to the vzctl command. I was getting all kinds of errors no default template existed. Unable to create private area.

Zentyal, 1G ram, 32G hdd, 1g swap. 2 nics.

Anyone has this working? I know that you can set it up as a KVM. But that defeats the purpose of using it. There are other distros that don't have templates already built so I'm gonna have to know how to build these.

Also, Is there a way to convert ISO to tar.gz format. I was reading the OpenVZ are looking for the tar.gz.

Thanks for your time & attention,

Hello All,

I'm attempting to create a template. Wanting to install a Linux firewall into an OpenVZ Container. The firewall software has no template and is in ISO format. I was attempting to figure this out myself by searching the web. There few sites that pointed me to the vzctl command. I was getting all kinds of errors no default template existed. Unable to create private area.

Zentyal, 1G ram, 32G hdd, 1g swap. 2 nics.

Anyone has this working? I know that you can set it up as a KVM. But that defeats the purpose of using it. There are other distros that don't have templates already built so I'm gonna have to know how to build these.

Also, Is there a way to convert ISO to tar.gz format. I was reading the OpenVZ are looking for the tar.gz.

Thanks for your time & attention,
Hi,
in your case you must do a lot of handwork - with indefinite outcome.
OpenVZ-VMs use the kernel of the host - eg. in the private-folder are only such things which are different or own, not a full operating system.
On your iso is a full operating system, so you can't easily merged this together.
Of course it's normaly not imposible but you need some experiences.

To see the content of an iso you can mount it:
Code:
mount -o loop,ro cdrom.iso /mnt
Udo

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!