No-Subscription license - No valid subscription message

Status
Not open for further replies.
and yes, the subscription message is a conscious decision, because even though this is free software, it takes time and money to develop it :)

I think there are two independent issues here:
- annoyance at bugging message (which i understand developers want to keep so it's reminding about subscriptions)
- the message content/wording: "You do not have a valid subscription for this server. Please visit www.proxmox.com to get a list of available options."

The message implies that there is a something wrong - to me wording refers to a license violation.

If, as have being stated, running Proxmox free without support in non-commercial environments is permitted i recommend replacing message with:
"This server is running without a subscription. Please consider subscribing - see options at www.proxmox.com".

I changed my license model to "No-Subscription" and applied the changes as per the Proxmox VE No-Subscription Repository guide. However, this does not remove the no invalid subscription reminder message.

View attachment 18515

Is it possible to permanently remove the message or must I purchase a subscription?
Luke1, I have your fix, but the forum moderator(s) won't allow me to post it. Maybe I can direct you to https://dannyda.com/ and let you search the site for what you need.

I tend to agree with Luke1 in that the message seems more of a "you must have a valid subscription" message, especially as theres a yellow warning triangle to the left. I've been using Proxmox for years and love it ans simply dismiss the box each login but perhaps this message could do with being tweaked to appear more friendly at the very least and less like an error or warning message, unless of course Proxmox deem it as a warning or error message?

Reactions: Saumya Kanta Swain
I'd love to see an option to just make the message go away. Either as one time payment or as a yearly subscription.

For me the community edition subscription is just not worth the price compared to the benefits I get.
I'd love to support the team but under the current situation I just stick with the free version.

I support various projects (freebsd, Ubuntu, ...) on a yearly basis with 25€. That's a price I would be willing to pay to make the message go away (without further benefits).

Please Proxmox-Team, consider to add such an option (maybe restricted for nonprofit and private use?).

As mentioned in this thread, you can make the message go away by modifying the code, but this is not the forum to discuss this and I don't want to take anything away from what the developers have done so far as it truly is a great piece of software(s). However tburger, I like your thinking; perhaps change the message to something less error/warning like and maybe replace it with a request for a minimum annual donation.

Maybe something like:

"Thanks for using Proxmox. Make a donation today or buy a subscription for professional support to remove this message. This helps us to keep developing the Proxmox suite of products.".

I'd be happy to pay for an annual basic license that simply made the message go away and at least the developers get something back rather than me adjusting the code at each update.

I'd then perhaps make the subscription request more visible on the main screen but out of the way, perhaps tucking it in the top right hand bar? This way you can still have a Call To Action for users who haven't got a support subscription but its not something you need to dismiss each time.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    134.4 KB · Views: 43
I'd love to see an option to just make the message go away. Either as one time payment or as a yearly subscription.

You can pay the subscription yearly already :) https://www.proxmox.com/proxmox-ve/pricing
That makes the message goes away, you get recoginzed as supporting the project here in the forum and access to the most stable repository, pve-enterprise.

I'd be happy to pay for an annual basic license that simply made the message go away and at least the developers get something back rather than me adjusting the code at each update.

1. We do not sell licenses, Proxmox Projects are licensed under AGPL v3 after all.
2. You can already do so, see above.

Thanks for your reply. Apologies for using the wrong terminology. I should have said (support) subcription not license.

Nonetheless, would it generate revenue if you offered a way for users to "subscribe" and simply remove the nag message? This subscription would do nothing other than removing the nag screen and would of course generate some additional revenue for Proxmox.

Perhaps it would exist below your Community 85euros subscription?

Reactions: starudin
You can pay the subscription yearly already
Please dont pull that statement out of the context.
I know you can do. The price / benefits ratio is what doesn't fit for MY private purpose / expectation.

As said please consider an option / subscription just to make things go away. Like a "basic subscriber" thing. Still could be a forum tag people get through this.

Reactions: BiTRiP
Nonetheless, would it generate revenue if you offered a way for users to "subscribe" and simply remove the nag message? This subscription would do nothing other than removing the nag screen and would of course generate some additional revenue for Proxmox.

...and how many people would want this? I would not pay money just to remove a nag screen (that could also be removed by a simple sed command) without any additional benefits. Just buy the community or help out here in the forums.

...and how many people would want this? I would not pay money just to remove a nag screen (that could also be removed by a simple sed command) without any additional benefits. Just buy the community or help out here in the forums.
It would be nice if it was removed with all donations though...

Thats my point. Some people of course will be quite happy to edit the code but then of course, they haven't paid anything. If the idea behind the nag screen is to get people to subscribe but they feel for any reason that 85euros is too much then perhaps a minimum donation towards the cause is better than nothing at all , even for those users who know how to use sed, vi or nano.

I think that theres a case here that suggests that there may be enough people willing to provide a small donation which in turn rewards them by removing the nag screen.

I went looking for a donation link/button on the Proxmox website but was unable to find one. There may be some legal reason why of course, but to me a coffee (5euros) is better than nothing.

I am a professional IT-dude since over a decade but I just started my first home lab pve. I see the problems with warnings like this. Orange warnings on the overview normally means something is wrong. Since the free version of this is a normal way to run the systems, it should not in my opinion have "warnings" taking up the attention. I have had virtualization at home since 2009 on ESXi, and virtualbox and lately also Nutanix CE, totally free, and none of them have this kind of warnings. The benefit for the company is that they really proove the concepts and makes users and IT staff really comfortable with the products. The money my employer have put into VMware and Nutanix during the years is a lot. If the home use is regarded as marketing, that is a darn good way to do it in terms of return of investment.

My conclusion is that my feelings for pve is less good since "free use" is making me less confortable in the systems. At least take away the warning associated colours, make them blue or something. Or just trust in yourself that if you make a good product people will know - without the nag screens.

my 50 cents...

Reactions: igor_k
I am a professional IT-dude since over a decade but I just started my first home lab pve. I see the problems with warnings like this. Orange warnings on the overview normally means something is wrong. Since the free version of this is a normal way to run the systems, it should not in my opinion have "warnings" taking up the attention. I have had virtualization at home since 2009 on ESXi, and virtualbox and lately also Nutanix CE, totally free, and none of them have this kind of warnings. The benefit for the company is that they really proove the concepts and makes users and IT staff really comfortable with the products. The money my employer have put into VMware and Nutanix during the years is a lot. If the home use is regarded as marketing, that is a darn good way to do it in terms of return of investment.
Note that you can continue to use those "free" proprietary products if you prefer them and how things are there.
Proxmox VE is 100% open source and all features available everywhere though, and the warning is not there as joke, it's meant that you're not using the system as the vendor recommends it for production use which we obviosuly want to notice our users to avoid issues for them. If your use case isn't a production use, and you've some reasons, to not get a subscription then you will just ignore them.

My conclusion is that my feelings for pve is less good since "free use" is making me less confortable in the systems. At least take away the warning associated colours, make them blue or something. Or just trust in yourself that if you make a good product people will know - without the nag screens.
The way Proxmox VE does things since over a decade works obviously good for us, and it ensures that an enterprise company can back delivering 100% open source software with lots of features that no "free" proprietary software offers.
Continuing with our practice means being able to continue delivering security updates and new features to everybody, which is also in the interest of our community.

@t.lamprecht
I did not mean to offend anyone by referring to the other vendors, I just wanted to make examples. There is a reason that I look to PVE even though I have a lot of experience with the other solutions. You have a really interesting product! My goal was to give you input on the impact of your choosen strategy and how it possibly can backfire. I want things to go well for you and I appreciate that I can test the systems for free. I also hope that sincere feedback on how your product could be even better would be appreciated since it is an effort made that you could benefit from. If I did not care, I would not have written in the first place.

Proxmox VE is 100% open source and all features available everywhere though, and the warning is not there as joke, it's meant that you're not using the system as the vendor recommends it for production use which we obviosuly want to notice our users to avoid issues for them. If your use case isn't a production use, and you've some reasons, to not get a subscription then you will just ignore them.
The user already knows that the user has no subscription. If Proxmox really intends to inform a user then it can be done in better ways. Like it would really great if there were an option saying "Don't remind me again" on the notification.

The user already knows that the user has no subscription. If Proxmox really intends to inform a user then it can be done in better ways. Like it would really great if there were an option saying "Don't remind me again" on the notification.
Doesn't seem like a better way to me. Now it ensures that the user is always clear about the system, especially if operating on more than one and possibly even some that weren't setup by themselves.

Anyhow, thanks for the input, but this won't change anytime soon. Also, this thread has done its deed, closing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!