blank/black/empty console issue since update

shard

Feb 11, 2020
I installed proxmox 6.1 and created 2 debian 10 containers and one debian 10 VM. For the whole first day I could just select console from the left sidebar and it would just work.

Then I did an update/upgrade and after that I could no longer console into containers. VM still worked just fine. I tried to specifically pick and option from the dropdown. I tried noVNC, SPICE and xterm.js and only noVNC worked. So I went into the options of the datacenter and changed default console to noVNC. After that I restarted the browser (my browser wipes everything including cache on close) and tried to see if noVNC was the default. It wasn't.

And I now discovered that the console for the node that used to work before stopped working as well. When I say stopped working I mean it's just blank/black. On top of that after changing the default console, I still have to switch to noVNC for containers, but there is now a new weird problem: Console starts out blank/black but hitting enter brings the login prompt.

I guess my question is: are these things expected? I mean are these known issues in the latest version of proxmox or is it generally just unstable like this?

If I leave the console in that state long enough I get this error:
Code:
timed out waiting for client
TASK ERROR: command '/usr/bin/termproxy 5900 --path /vms/100 --perm VM.Console -- /usr/bin/dtach -A /var/run/dtach/vzctlconsole100 -r winch -z lxc-console -n 100 -e -1' failed: exit code 4

Enter trick doesn't work for the node console. I have now reinstalled proxmox 6.1-3 several times and only on update/upgrade it starts doing this. Is this just something that non subscribers have to deal with since we are not using validated enterprise repos?

Enter trick doesn't work for the node console. I have now reinstalled proxmox 6.1-3 several times and only on update/upgrade it starts doing this. Is this just something that non subscribers have to deal with since we are not using validated enterprise repos?

no, should work always.

Can you reproduce this behaviour?

Steps to reproduce:
  1. Download official (latest) 6.1 ISO
  2. Install proxmox on bare metal
  3. Confirm that installed version is 6.1-3
  4. Select node and click console from left sidebar
  5. Get login prompt
  6. Create a container
  7. From containers left sidebar click console
  8. Get login prompt
  9. Replace enterprise repo with non-sub repo
  10. Run update and dist-upgrade
  11. Reboot (just to be safe)
  12. Now try steps 4 and 7
Expected behavior:
Console/Shell button works same way as before update

Actual behavior:
Console/Shell button no longer gets you to the login prompt of container or node, but insted in case of node you have to select noVNC from dropdown for it to work. And containers can only be accessed through node with pct enter <id>

Note, pveversion might help to see if those systems are not partially upgraded.

This is the output of pveversion:
Code:
pve-manager/6.1-7/13e58d5e (running kernel: 5.3.18-1-pve)

My hardware:
CPU(s)

AMD A10-7860K Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G (1 Socket)
Kernel Version

Linux 5.3.18-1-pve #1 SMP PVE 5.3.18-1 (Wed, 05 Feb 2020 11:49:10 +0100)
pve-manager/6.1-7/13e58d5e

and 8G of RAM. Proxmox is installed on SSD, there is another HDD used for storage.

Update from UI tells me im up to date.

Last edited:
I also managed to reproduce this issue while running proxmox in two other machines and a vm. You don't even need to do most of the steps in my previous message.

It is enough to:
  1. Install proxmox
  2. Select shell button for the node
  3. While in the shell, remove /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-enterprise.list file
  4. Add deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian buster pve-no-subscription to /etc/apt/sources.list
  5. Run apt update && apt upgrade -y
  6. Refresh browser (Optional)
  7. Click on shell button again.

Using Brave Browser. Just tested it with Firefox and Chrome and both work just fine. So it must be something wrong with Brave Browser. I wonder what it could be.

is there anything in the javascript error console when you open the console on brave ?

Only output I get in the javascript console is xtermjs: starting and nothing after that

ok just installed brave browser here locally, with latest patches, works fine... so maybe some addon/setting you have set ?

I just tried resetting the settings and disabling all the plugins, but it didn't help. But it seems to be the browser that is responsible for this. I will investigate further.

I'm seeing this issue also, installed fresh a few weeks ago.

When I launch a Debian 10 container - created this morning - I just get the blinking cursor.

When I reboot with the console up, I see no startup messages.

After a certain number of minutes, when I go back and try it again, it works.

I'm using the enterprise repos and just updated.

Code:
 pveversion --verbose
proxmox-ve: 6.1-2 (running kernel: 5.3.13-3-pve)
pve-manager: 6.1-7 (running version: 6.1-7/13e58d5e)
pve-kernel-5.3: 6.1-3
pve-kernel-helper: 6.1-3
pve-kernel-5.3.13-3-pve: 5.3.13-3
pve-kernel-5.3.13-1-pve: 5.3.13-1
pve-kernel-5.3.10-1-pve: 5.3.10-1
ceph-fuse: 12.2.11+dfsg1-2.1+b1
corosync: 3.0.2-pve4
criu: 3.11-3
glusterfs-client: 5.5-3
ifupdown: residual config
ifupdown2: 2.0.1-1+pve4
ksm-control-daemon: 1.3-1
libjs-extjs: 6.0.1-10
libknet1: 1.13-pve1
libpve-access-control: 6.0-6
libpve-apiclient-perl: 3.0-2
libpve-common-perl: 6.0-11
libpve-guest-common-perl: 3.0-3
libpve-http-server-perl: 3.0-4
libpve-storage-perl: 6.1-4
libqb0: 1.0.5-1
libspice-server1: 0.14.2-4~pve6+1
lvm2: 2.03.02-pve4
lxc-pve: 3.2.1-1
lxcfs: 3.0.3-pve60
novnc-pve: 1.1.0-1
proxmox-mini-journalreader: 1.1-1
proxmox-widget-toolkit: 2.1-3
pve-cluster: 6.1-4
pve-container: 3.0-19
pve-docs: 6.1-4
pve-edk2-firmware: 2.20191127-1
pve-firewall: 4.0-10
pve-firmware: 3.0-4
pve-ha-manager: 3.0-8
pve-i18n: 2.0-4
pve-qemu-kvm: 4.1.1-2
pve-xtermjs: 4.3.0-1
qemu-server: 6.1-5
smartmontools: 7.1-pve2
spiceterm: 3.1-1
vncterm: 1.6-1
zfsutils-linux: 0.8.3-pve1

I have similar issue, it started after upgrade from 6.x to 7.x , with lxc containers with old ubuntu 16.04. Just blank screen on console, with no login prompt. But container is working i can ssh to it or make pct enter.

I have similar issue, it started after upgrade from 6.x to 7.x , with lxc containers with old ubuntu 16.04. Just blank screen on console, with no login prompt. But container is working i can ssh to it or make pct enter.

Did you get past this?
I just noticed this tonight myself and don't know how to get past it.

I'm having the same issue both when I was on 6 and after I upgraded to 7. The console will show a blank screen and will not show login prompt even if I hit enter, wait for some time or reboot the CT.
I notice that it only happens with some LXC template like Debian 10 & 11, AlmaLinux and RockyLinux. Ubuntu 20.04 and CentOS images always work fine and I've never had a console issue with them.
I've tried Firefox, Chrome and Chromium and all show the same blank screen.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!