Throttling outgoing messages to specified domains

Lucian Lazar

Apr 23, 2018
Romania
ecoit.ro
Hi there,
As you are well aware this days all major email providers such Gmail, Outlook.com and many more are deferring if too many messages/hour/minute are being attempted to their accounts. In fact, i am seeing a lot of "451 too many messages, slow down" warnings in the deferred queue list.
As i recall it, and please correct me if i'm wrong, PMG does not currently have a way of throttling outgoing messages to certain domains or at all. If i'm wrong please correct me.
On a normal postfix install i could create a new transport in master.cf then specify throttling limits on that transport in main.cf. I am not sure if implementing something like this would impact or not PMG functionality.
Is there another way to throttle all outgoing emails or to some specified domains?
Thank you all in advance.

Hi,

On a normal postfix install i could create a new transport in master.cf then specify throttling limits on that transport in main.cf. I am not sure if implementing something like this would impact or not PMG functionality.
You can to the very same (create a new transport in master.cf using the service configuration templates [0].
The smtpd-process which takes the mails after processing and sends them out is the one listening on 127.0.0.1:10025.
pmg-smtp-filter only sends to that port - but you can adapt the configuration of it.

Regarding wheter this interferes with PMG on some level - not that I'm aware of (and my guess is it should work quite fine) - but I have not actively tested it.

Keep an eye on your logs and see how it works.

Please also report back how it worked out.

Thanks!

p.s. out of curiosity - how many mails are you sending there before getting the 451 ?

[0] https://pmg.proxmox.com/pmg-docs/pmg-admin-guide.html#_service_configuration_templates

Reactions: Lucian Lazar
Hi,

You can to the very same (create a new transport in master.cf using the service configuration templates [0].
The smtpd-process which takes the mails after processing and sends them out is the one listening on 127.0.0.1:10025.
pmg-smtp-filter only sends to that port - but you can adapt the configuration of it.

Regarding wheter this interferes with PMG on some level - not that I'm aware of (and my guess is it should work quite fine) - but I have not actively tested it.

Keep an eye on your logs and see how it works.

Please also report back how it worked out.

Thanks!

p.s. out of curiosity - how many mails are you sending there before getting the 451 ?

[0] https://pmg.proxmox.com/pmg-docs/pmg-admin-guide.html#_service_configuration_templates

Thank you for your reply, will test it and report back with feedback.
Regarding limits, it depends on the provider. Gmail starts to defer emails when reached 200 mails/minute, outlook.com (also live, hotmail) about the same and worst of all italian providers like libero.it, tiscali.it starts deferring at as low as 50-100/minute. The only one that allows more or less 300/minute is office365/exchange online.

Thank you for your reply, will test it and report back with feedback.
Regarding limits, it depends on the provider. Gmail starts to defer emails when reached 200 mails/minute, outlook.com (also live, hotmail) about the same and worst of all italian providers like libero.it, tiscali.it starts deferring at as low as 50-100/minute. The only one that allows more or less 300/minute is office365/exchange online.
Hello

I have the same problem, can you explain how to creat slow directive with PNG please ?

Hi, I have a similar problem whereby outgoing mails to microsoft are being dropped. So, I want to route these separately using amazon SES.
How would I configure this in PMG please?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!