Backup on external USB device (IBM RDX)

genesio

Jul 25, 2018
Hello everyone,
I recently migrated a physical IBM server to a proxmox VM

I would like to re-use the IBM RDX device with removable disks as daily backup target.
First of all, I mounted the /dev/sdd1 device into a /backup folder and configured as a storage entry (type Directory, VZDump selected)

Then I created a specific backup entry in the proxmox GUI, selecting a the folder-mounted backup target.
Everything works as expected.

Now, I would like to automatically mount the device when the backup starts and unmount+eject it when the backup completes successfully.

My first attempt of a custom script (configured in /etc/vzdump.conf) is the following:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

if [ "$1" == "backup-start" ]; then
  echo "mounting RDX..."
  mount /dev/sdd1 /backup
  sleep 10
  echo "...done"
  exit 0
fi

if [ "$1" == "backup-end" ]; then
  if mountpoint -q /backup; then
    echo "RDX is mounted. unmounting..."
    umount /backup
    echo "...done"
    echo "Ejecting RDX..."
    eject /dev/sdd
    echo "...done"
    exit 0
  else
    echo "RDX is not mounted. error"
    exit 1
  fi
fi

Unfortunately the backup fails with this error:

Code:
INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 108 --compress lzo --mailto xxxx@xxxx --node pve2 --storage cassetta --remove 0 --mode snapshot
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 108 (qemu)
INFO: status = running
INFO: update VM 108: -lock backup
INFO: VM Name: zucchetti-clone
INFO: include disk 'scsi0' 'large:vm-108-disk-0' 1000G
INFO: include disk 'efidisk0' 'large:vm-108-disk-1' 128K
INFO: backup mode: snapshot
INFO: ionice priority: 7
INFO: mounting RDX...
INFO: ...done
ERROR: Backup of VM 108 failed - unable to open '/backup/dump/vzdump-qemu-108-2019_01_20-14_53_09.tmp/qemu-server.conf' at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/VZDump/QemuServer.pm line 188.
INFO: Backup job finished with errors
TASK ERROR: job errors

After the error, I can see that the device is correctly mounted.
If I immediately run the backup again, it works:

Code:
INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 108 --remove 0 --mode snapshot --storage cassetta --node pve2 --compress gzip --mailto xxxx@xxxx
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 108 (qemu)
INFO: status = running
INFO: update VM 108: -lock backup
INFO: VM Name: zucchetti-clone
INFO: include disk 'scsi0' 'large:vm-108-disk-0' 1000G
INFO: include disk 'efidisk0' 'large:vm-108-disk-1' 128K
INFO: backup mode: snapshot
INFO: ionice priority: 7
INFO: mount: /dev/sdd1 is already mounted or /backup busy
INFO:        /dev/sdd1 is already mounted on /backup
INFO: creating archive '/backup/dump/vzdump-qemu-108-2019_01_20-15_14_13.vma.gz'
INFO: started backup task '9743e502-343b-4e0f-8eed-07ff4221e6ef'
INFO: status: 0% (739835904/1073746018304), sparse 0% (460558336), duration 3, read/write 246/93 MB/s

What could I be missing?

Last edited:
INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 108 --compress lzo --mailto xxxx@xxxx --node pve2 --storage cassetta --remove 0 --mode snapshot
Now backup starts - a directory /backup/dump/vzdump-qemu-108-2019_01_20-14_53_09.tmp/ is created

But since your external disk is not mounted yet is located in the main file system

ERROR: Backup of VM 108 failed - unable to open '/backup/dump/vzdump-qemu-108-2019_01_20-14_53_09.tmp/qemu-server.conf' at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/VZDump/QemuServer.pm line 188.

Now your external disk is mounted at /backup, the previously created directory cannot bee seen any more.

If you start the process again the tmp directory is at the external disk and it will work.

In other words: your request cannot be implemented as you tried. Instead you can make a script containing mount, run backup via cli and finally unmount.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!