thin-pool target support missing from kernel?

sahostking

Renowned Member
Just noticed load go to 2000 and then rebooted Node and now got this error. I did fully update the server yesterday but did not reboot till now.

Untitled.png

The thin-volume support seems to be removed from pve-kernel starting with version 4.13. On my pve-kernel 4.10 it is included. But thin volumes are working normally after kernel is started. The only problem is, that the kernel can't boot from thin-volumes. I don't know, why it's removed from kernel?

Ok well I guess I aint gonna reboot for while
let me rather use Kernelcare from Cloudlinux then. Much safer.= to load kernels

Found a solution about this error :
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lvm2/+bug/1539934/comments/2

To recap, create file /etc/initramfs-tools/hooks/thin-provisioning-tools:

#!/bin/sh

PREREQ="lvm2"

prereqs()
{
echo ""
}

case $1 in
prereqs)
prereqs
exit 0
;;
esac

. /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hook-functions

copy_exec /usr/sbin/thin_check
copy_exec /usr/sbin/thin_dump
copy_exec /usr/sbin/thin_repair
copy_exec /usr/sbin/thin_restore
copy_exec /sbin/dmeventd

manual_add_modules dm_thin_pool

Then update the initramfs image:
# chmod 755 /etc/initramfs-tools/hooks/thin-provisioning-tools
# update-initramfs-tools -u

Woah! I didn't realise Kernelcare supported Proxmox. That's good to know. We use it for Virtuozzo.

But I don't understand what's happening here. The 2000 load - was that something that co-incidentally happened, causing you to want to reboot and then happen to see this lvm-thin issue, or was the high load caused by some issue with the update?

Woah! I didn't realise Kernelcare supported Proxmox. That's good to know. We use it for Virtuozzo.

But I don't understand what's happening here. The 2000 load - was that something that co-incidentally happened, causing you to want to reboot and then happen to see this lvm-thin issue, or was the high load caused by some issue with the update?

the lvm-thin "issue" is not an issue, unless you run a non-default setup that has / on lvm-thin - otherwise it is purely cosmetic.

I just suffered the same issue.

Box was set-up w. a clean install in March using a 5.x standard official release, downloaded from here.

Did an upgrade through GUI a couple of days ago and today finally rebooted (or rather tried to reboot) as recommended at the end of the upgrade-process.
Boot failed. Got exactly the same errors as described and pictured by @sahostking.

:~# pveversion -v
proxmox-ve: 5.2-2 (running kernel: 4.15.18-7-pve)
pve-manager: 5.2-10 (running version: 5.2-10/6f892b40)
pve-kernel-4.15: 5.2-10
pve-kernel-4.13: 5.2-2
pve-kernel-4.15.18-7-pve: 4.15.18-27
pve-kernel-4.13.16-4-pve: 4.13.16-51
pve-kernel-4.13.13-6-pve: 4.13.13-42
pve-kernel-4.13.13-2-pve: 4.13.13-33
corosync: 2.4.2-pve5
criu: 2.11.1-1~bpo90
glusterfs-client: 3.8.8-1
ksm-control-daemon: 1.2-2
libjs-extjs: 6.0.1-2
libpve-access-control: 5.0-8
libpve-apiclient-perl: 2.0-5
libpve-common-perl: 5.0-40
libpve-guest-common-perl: 2.0-18
libpve-http-server-perl: 2.0-11
libpve-storage-perl: 5.0-30
libqb0: 1.0.1-1
lvm2: 2.02.168-pve6
lxc-pve: 3.0.2+pve1-3
lxcfs: 3.0.2-2
novnc-pve: 1.0.0-2
proxmox-widget-toolkit: 1.0-20
pve-cluster: 5.0-30
pve-container: 2.0-29
pve-docs: 5.2-8
pve-firewall: 3.0-14
pve-firmware: 2.0-5
pve-ha-manager: 2.0-5
pve-i18n: 1.0-6
pve-libspice-server1: 0.14.1-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 2.12.1-1
pve-xtermjs: 1.0-5
qemu-server: 5.0-38
smartmontools: 6.5+svn4324-1
spiceterm: 3.0-5
vncterm: 1.5-3
zfsutils-linux: 0.7.11-pve1~bpo1

Is there any permanents solution for this (besides anthon's temporary workaround and/or setting up the server from scratch)?
Has the solution proposed by Thomas Lamprecht in https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1903 meanwhile been tested/verified?

I wasn't expecting a proxmox upgrade to mess up the entire installation, as upgrades in the last years never caused anything funny (at least not on my box :•)
@fabian, the lvm-thin "issue" apparently is an issue, not quite "purely cosmetic", considering I supposedly run a default setup (just went through the installer from the proxmox CD :•) together w. the fact, that the server does not boot through since the upgrade and the issue is described in bugzilla.

What's the solution, a solution that is tested, verified, permanent and will "survive" future upgrades?

Cheers,
~R.

I have to correct my above post. I only had a report from our IT, didn't personally see the problem myself yet. Now saw, that boot stops due to a backup-directory on / which is not found:
Code:
[ TIME ] Timed out waiting for device dev-mapper-pve\x2dbackups.device.
[DEFEND] Dependency failed for /backups
[DEFEND] Dependency failed for Local File System

That's why/where boot hangs.
Will try to fix or start a new thread as our problem is not related this one.
So @fabian you are - of course - correct and the error IS in fact cosmetic, as you stated, sorry :)
Cheers,
~R.

did multiple re-boots since then - problem w. halt on boot never showed up again and is not reproducible (the 'purely cosmetic' thin target support missing from kernel messages still show though :°)
Thanks,
~R.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!