Importing Version 3.1 VMs into a 5.1 Installation

Drax

Jul 21, 2012
Can I directly import my old VMs into my new Proxmox 5.1 nodes? This is a brand new server. I am hoping that I can just bring them all back in via a restore. Please advise.

I am busy doing it at this very moment. I see no issues in my migration. I'm using proxmox 3.4.16 for one server and restoring openvz to LXC and restoring the KVM ones into proxmox 5.2.1 fine. No issues atm.

Not sure I understand the references to restoring openvx to LXC then restoring KVM ones into 5.2.1 Please explain when you get a moment the process steps so a neophyte can understand how to do it.

Hi Drax,

the migration of KVM guest is no problem just make a backup.
Make it available on the new node whith an NFS or copy it with scp.
On the new node, you just restore the backup.

If your guest is an OpenVZ than the way is the same,
but it depends on the OpenVZ container if the migration works.

I don't understand the term KVM guest and OpenVZ. I have Proxmox 3.1.21 on 2 nodes. I have various Linux and windows VMs created under proxmox. I have a backup for the VMs. I have no idea if they are openVZ containers or not. How would I find that out? I checked out a few VMs, they all indicate KVM hardware virtualization, but I don't see any mention of open VZ. Where would I look for that?

I don't understand the term KVM guest and OpenVZ.
KVM: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel-based_Virtual_Machine
OpenVZ: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenVZ

they all indicate KVM hardware virtualization
Then they will be KVM machines.
Also, OpenVZ container always uses the same kernel as the host.

Where would I look for that?
The best and easiest test is run on the shell this two commands

Show all KVM guests:
Code:
qm list[\Code]

Show all OpenVZ guests:
[Code]vzlist list[\Code]

first code produced a list of the VMs Second code vzlist list produced the following message CT ID list is invalid. Please advise.

Last edited:
first code produced a list of the VMs Second code vzlist list produced the following message CT ID list is invalid. Please advise.

> vzlist -a

Maybe you just have VMs.

Note:

CT = OpenVZ
VM = KVM

If you are administering a server you need to get to know these abbreviations :)

So what impact does container not found have on my original question? Does the absence of them mean I cannot import them directly into 5.2?

So what impact does container not found have on my original question? Does the absence of them mean I cannot import them directly into 5.2?

the command "vzlist -a" shows all your OpenVZ container on Proxmox VE 3.x.

I have already ran that command. As stated above It tells me container not found. ie there are no OpenVZ containers. So they must just be KVM only. If so, Can I directly import them from a backup into 5.2? Please advise.

So there is no other way? This is so arduous a process. I was hoping for a better way.

Having a discussion with another dev.
He says that KVMs do not need to be updated or converted. That I can basically take the existing server. Back up all the KVM VMs. Then just update the nodes ONLY and when the nodes are up to 5.2, then simply restore the VMs to the nodes. Correct? I am hoping that this is a yes or no question.

Can I update an new install to 5.2 and then simply copybackups of 3.1 KVMs to the node and restore them?

Last edited:
Hi all, i have an issue... I did the same thing. I backed up my vz from proxmox 3.1 to 5.2.1. Did a restore and everything seemed fine. I changed the ip of the new machine to be the same as the old one ( shut-ed down the old one ) but now the server is only accessible from within the building and not from users from outside the building as used. While doing a tracert it stops at the buildings router and does not reach the machine... Why is this happening?? Any ideas?? Thanks alot

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!