Trying to move my local proxmox to OVH

Pierre7522

Jun 13, 2018
Hi everybody,

Until now, I was used to manage multiple VMs on a local network in my office.
Mostly, they are various development Ubuntu server/desktop that I manage through X2Go.
The fact that it was local provided great easyness to manage the IPs of the VM: everyone got one from DHCP.

Today, I have to work in different places, and my VMs have to be accessible from any place.
So I decided to take an OVH dedicated server on which I installed the VPS Proxmox VE 5 template.
As there is no more DHCP providing IPs to my VMs, what is the way to do?

After reboot of the host, I know have vmbr0 active, but Ubuntu installation, failing on retrieving DHCP IP, ask me to provide manual network setup.

I've read https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/OVH, but things are not clear to me.
Do I have to buy multiple Public IPs and manage them in the OVH manager, or is there a way for proxmox to route my calls to the right VM with a single Public IP?
During Ubuntu Installation, as DHCP will fail, do I have to provide one of the extra public IP ?

Sorry to ask for basic concepts, but I need support to understand what I'm doing.
Any references to articles will be appreciated.

Pierre

Hi, I am having the same issue and I am trying to set up pfSense on a VM.
You could buy an extra public IP and set it up as the WAN for the pfSense and use a bridge without any network interface as LAN. After you are done configuring that you can forward from inside the pfSense panel the single ports from your public IP to your VMs or even install squid as http proxy if you need to have multiple webservers on the same port but on different domain names.
I am having this issue too but I cannot buy a 2nd IP as I am on Kimsufi :(

Regards,
Gabriele.

As there is no more DHCP providing IPs to my VMs, what is the way to do?
The problem is OVH use a mac IP mapping so you have to set each IP in you block the correct MAC address.
If this is not the case the packages will be dropped by OVH.

Do I have to buy multiple Public IPs and manage them in the OVH manager, or is there a way for proxmox to route my calls to the right VM with a single Public IP?
You can go both ways but I would recommend you the first one. OVH is very cheap when it comes to ip blocks.

During Ubuntu Installation, as DHCP will fail, do I have to provide one of the extra public IP ?
Yes, or you can alternatively make a routed setup with a router VM like pfsence.
This would provide a DHCP and work as a gateway for the VM's. in this case, you can use a routed setup with one public ip.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!