Proxmox 4.4.5 kernel: Out of memory: Kill process 8543 (kvm) score or sacrifice child

It must not be for nothing that they return back ;)
For me, no problem with the kernel test 4.4.35-2-pve and the 4.4.21-71 since more than one day.
So it was that.

Backup with new settings as above with same kernel worked for me last night

Thanks for the Feedback Jorge! I've just installed the test kernel too. Crossing fingers that Proxmox now stops to (blood)sacrifice my Windows VM.

Upgraded 2 Cluster last night. Same problem, 4 VMs crashed. I test the new kernel too. Must i set the settings in systctl too?

Thanks for the Feedback Jorge! I've just installed the test kernel too. Crossing fingers that Proxmox now stops to (blood)sacrifice my Windows VM.
In reply of myself and all whom may be concerned. The Test Kernel fixed my issue, VM is running since then.

Reactions: Dan Nicolae
I had the same issue with kernel : 4.4.35-1-pve and it was resolved by upgrading to : 4.4.35-2-pve

Tried with a quite large backup afterwards:
INFO: transferred 3543348 MB in 17702 seconds (200 MB/s)
INFO: archive file size: 2836.98GB
INFO: Finished Backup of VM 100 (04:55:06)
INFO: Backup job finished successfully
TASK OK

Problem on our side was with the CEPH nodes. From time to time, OSD daemons where killed and CEPH marked them down. In one morning, half of our OSD was down, cluster was rebuilding, most of the VM partitions where corupted, some of them impossible to recover, data loss, absolutely horror. After the kernel update everything looks ok. Update took place on 3 january, from that time (7 days), a lot of pain... What a mess.

Last edited:
Hi there!

We have the same issue on our server cluster.
Fabian - is this bug fixed in pve-kernel-4.4.35-2-pve that is available using dist-upgrade or it is better to install the version you built?
Thanks in advance!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!