move VM to secound hard

Z

zitanix

Hi
my server have 2 Hard Disk
can i move a vps from first hard disk to secound hard disk ?

Hi
my server have 2 Hard Disk
can i move a vps from first hard disk to secound hard disk ?

do you talk about a container or a KVM guest?

im eaxtly mean
move vps from first hard disk to secound hard disk

Last edited by a moderator:
im eaxtly mean
move vps from first hard disk to secound hard disk

Hi,
you can do that - but only with handwork.
First, how are you use your second harddisk? If you mount the filesystem on /var/data then you can add a second storage (this can be done at the web-frontend):
Code:
/etc/pve/storage.cfg:
dir: local2
    path /var/data
    content images
after that, you can move your harddisk-files:
Code:
mv /var/lib/vz/images/110 /var/data/images/
now it's time to change the config:
Code:
/etc/qemu-server/110.cfg
ide0: local2:110/vm-110-disk-1.raw

Now you can start your vm - but please take a backup before!

Udo

Hi,
you can do that - but only with handwork.
First, how are you use your second harddisk? If you mount the filesystem on /var/data then you can add a second storage (this can be done at the web-frontend):
Code:
/etc/pve/storage.cfg:
dir: local2
    path /var/data
    content images
after that, you can move your harddisk-files:
Code:
mv /var/lib/vz/images/110 /var/data/images/
now it's time to change the config:
Code:
/etc/qemu-server/110.cfg
ide0: local2:110/vm-110-disk-1.raw
Now you can start your vm - but please take a backup before!

Udo
thanks for reply
this is my config , disk 2 are lvm partition and added and used in proxmox

Code:
/etc/pve/storage.cfg
dir: local
        path /var/lib/vz
        content images,iso,vztmpl,rootdir

lvm: disk2
        vgname second-hdd
        content images
i dont know where exact directory or path of disk2

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
in this case you use the second hdd as local lvm-strorage. Add in the VM a disk on this storage (same size as on the local storage).
With
Code:
lvdisplay
you will see the disk as a logical volume e.g.
Code:
/dev/second-hdd/vm-110-disk-1

If you use already the raw-format for the diskimage you can copy the image directly. If you use qcow2, you must convert it first to raw.
To copy a raw partition:
Code:
dd if=/var/lib/vz/images/110/vm-110-disk-1.raw of=/dev/second-hdd/vm-110-disk-1 bs=1024k
After that change the config, that ide0 (or virtio0) is now on the second storage - you have the line due to adding a second HD in the conffile - and delete the old entry. For more than one disk, you must repeat the steps.

To convert qcow2-file use qemu-img

Hope that helps

Udo

That can't be done, because I get "You have no write access". When I add it manually using shell entry will appear in webinterface for a couple of seconds but then it disappers. And how that storrage will be used? When I have 2 disks with 40 GB then I simply can create a VZ with 80 GB and both disks will be used?

That can't be done, because I get "You have no write access". When I add it manually using shell entry will appear in webinterface for a couple of seconds but then it disappers.

You obviously have a cluster, and try to edit the storage configuration on the node. Please edit the storage configuration on the master - it will be synced to all nodes.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!