Proxmox 3.4 Install Resolution Issue

hpk

Apr 3, 2012
Hello i have the Problem that i cannot install Proxmox.

The Installer Screen shown me only the left Screen - i cannot press continue.

I have try start with VGA=normal (etc 775,788 ....) - nothing changed.

I have search the Forum for this issue and found two or three Threads - but only with the answer "You have no Vesa 2 kompatibile VGA Card.

I have tried with AMD Onboard Graphic Card ( Radeon HD 7480D ) and with a NVIDIA PCI-e Grafic Card - always the same issue.

What can i do (Please i want not to install Debian first and then Proxmox over it)??

Maybe there is a soluton for my Problem?

And sorry for my bad english.

Thanks

HPK

Thanks for your reply.

That have i also tryed, but with the same result.

Hej HPK
Which result do you see when booting a Debian or Ubuntu installer iso ? Is the display fine ?

Hello with Debian or Ubuntu the Installer diplay is fine. Now i have a 3rd Graficcard and monitor tryed - always the same.

I have no answers more.

Thanks for your answer.

Now i have installed over debian like the wiki.

Proxmox working - but no zfs and no novnc?

What have i done wrong?

Please help!

Hello,

I have the same problem as hpk. Only the left part of the screen is displayed. I tried with a brand new 22" Dell monitor, autoadjust, move the displayed part of the screen on the left (via monitor menu), but on the right there is nothing. I was able to install Proxmox just confirming blindly at each screen. I wanted to select xfs for formatting but was not able to see the option.

It is with a rather old Dell PE R710 (5 years old), connected directly on VGA port on the front (not through KVM). The iso I used for the install is the last one : proxmox-ve_3.4-102d4547-6.iso It is rather annoying, even if I succeded to do a basic install. I think the display card inside a R710 server is supporting vesa ?

Edit : the installation is done through UEFI. That is, I booted the PVE DVD in UEFI mode.

Last edited:
Hello,

As I was suspecting, because very few people are reporting this problem, the screen size problem comes from booting in UEFI mode. I revert to BIOS mode, and everything is fine with the display.

So it seems that screen size resolution and settings are not the same in UEFI and BIOS mode on an Dell PE R710 (ver 6.0.4 for the BIOS), and that it is not handled with PVE graphic installer. I think that very few people are trying to install PVE in UEFI mode on a Dell server.

I wanted this option, because I have six 1 TB hard drives, that I wanted to configure in a Raid 10 volume, but BIOS mode cannot boot on volume greater than 2 TB. But I discovered that the Perc 6/i controller is not able to boot on volumes greater than 2 TB, even in UEFI mode. And this server has a Perc 6/i controller.

In fact, with this old server, I would like to test the migration path from PVE 3.4 to 4.0. I will see if I can set up a PVE cluter using nested virtualization with kernel 3.10...

Last edited:
Hello,

As I was suspecting, because very few people are reporting this problem, the screen size problem comes from booting in UEFI mode. I revert to BIOS mode, and everything is fine with the display.

I see the resolution issue on Supermicro Super Server/X10SRi-F - but only if I boot the ISO in UEFI mode - legacy mode works as expected.

So, it confirms that the problem is with UEFI, and not only for Dell servers. But it seems that the current debian installer is working fine in UEFI mode ?

I see the resolution issue on Supermicro Super Server/X10SRi-F - but only if I boot the ISO in UEFI mode - legacy mode works as expected.
Unfortunately the problem remains with Proxmox 4:
I can confirm that it only happens if I boot the Proxmox installer in UEFI mode.
It never happens when I boot the Proxmox installer in non UEFI mode!
I have tested here with 2 different servers with exactly the same result:
a) server1: Intel dual socket Xeon E5-2600 server with built in Matrox G200 GPU
b) server2: Supermicro dual socket Xeon E5-2600 mainboard X10DRC-T4+ with built in ASpeed AST 2400 BMC GPU
On both servers exactly the same problem:
When booting the Proxmox 4 installer in UEFI mode the right part of the screen is cut off
When booting in non UEFI mode I can see the whole screen.
But when starting the Debian or Fedora installer in UEFI mode all is fine.
So that seems to be a bug with the Proxmox 4 installer and it would be great if you could be so kind to fix that bug so that Proxmox can also be installed in UEFI mode.

P.S. If multiple nics are present at Proxmox install time it would be great if you could show which nics have an active link (e.g. Fedora 22 installer does that) and let the user choose on which one to setup the bridge for Proxmox, so that the server can also be reached over the network after install.
I also ran into this problem, because the Supermicro mainboard has 4 built in nics and the bridge was automatically set up on a nic which had no link, so I could not reach the server after install ...

Btw. We are testing Proxmox 4 since some weeks now on server a) with DRBD9, OCFS2 and LSI Megaraid and it looks nice so far.
Next we plan to install Proxmox 4 for testing also on server b) and setup a DRBD9+OCFS2 HA cluster.
If all works as expected we plan to buy a subscription for 4 sockets :)
Keep up the great work!

Best regards
Michael

Hi Michael
Thanks for the time you put on analysing this.
Can you create a bug report on https://bugzilla.proxmox.com for this ( Remember to set the right version) for the UEFI boot display problem ?

Proxmox 4.1 Installer still does not work with uefi boot. Resolution is recognized as 800x600 instead of 1024x768 (thus half side cropped). My board is Supermicro X10SLH-F.

Meanwhile dont fix the bug of the resolution in uefi boot you can use the keyboard combination Alt-N to use the Next bottom and Alt-R when you finish the configuration to use the Reboot botton (You can also use Ctl-Alt-Sup)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!