Do NOT use SUSE virtio drivers from Windows Update

tom

Proxmox Staff Member
Staff member
Aug 29, 2006
Microsoft offered WHQL certified Redhat Virtio drivers via windows updates sinces some weeks, they worked great.

But now, they are offering SUSE virtio drivers via optional windows update (started on 8. december 2015) - which is not working and produces BSOD.

So please do NOT install them! (I tested it on Win7, Win81, Win2008r2, Win2012r2 - all went into BSOD)

Reactions: un1x0d
SUSE Block/SCSI Driver for Windows renders guest system unbootable

Hi.

If you see this driver under the optional tab in Windows Update, do not install it!

The driver is available on Windows Update since Tuesday and replaces previously installed Red Hat drivers when using VirtIO block or SCSI disk drivers. After a reboot, the operating system halts with an error in the lines of "no boot device found". The new SUSE driver must be removed to resolve this issue. The temporary solution is to use IDE emulation, which allows the system to boot again. In 2012 R2 the driver can be removed in the Device Manager after selecting "Show hidden devices in the menu". Removing it from Windows PE using dism should work, too:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us...f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396#RemoveDriversDISM

The problem does not exclusively affect Proxmox VE. I assume most KVM hypervisors will not work with this driver, but there is almost no further information at this point. If anyone knows more, please share your information.

Re: SUSE Block/SCSI Driver for Windows renders guest system unbootable

I just tried on a plain Ubuntu 15.10 KVM host (using virt-manager), also affected. See screenshots of the faulty driver - seems that no one tested this before release ...

Attachments

• suse-block-driver-error.png
    suse-block-driver-error.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 32
  • suse-block-driver-error-version.png
    suse-block-driver-error-version.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 33
Microsoft offered WHQL certified Redhat Virtio drivers via windows updates sinces some weeks, they worked great.

But now, they are offering SUSE virtio drivers via optional windows update (started on 8. december 2015) - which is not working and produces BSOD.

So please do NOT install them! (I tested it on Win7, Win81, Win2008r2, Win2012r2 - all went into BSOD)

Many thanks for the info.

I think that this info must be in the notifications thread.

Best regards
Cesar

Re: SUSE Block/SCSI Driver for Windows renders guest system unbootable

Hi. If you see this driver under the optional tab in Windows Update, do not install it!
Oh yeah, this one has caused me a lot of grief this morning. If SUSE released these to MS, they have a lot to answer for.
In 2012 R2 the driver can be removed in the Device Manager after selecting "Show hidden devices in the menu".
Its doesn't show in 2008R2 unfortunately - any idea how to remove there? Thanks.

Hi Stephan
Interesting. If true, this would mean that the Guest Windows VM is abled to detect if its running on a redhat based hypervisor.
Which version of the driver do you have installed ?

Hi,

Can someone tell how to remove installed SuSE drivers from unbootable Windows server 2012 r2?

Thx.

Hi,

here are the information of one of our Windows Server 2012 R2:
I use the Red Hat Guest Tools 3.4-9, and the virtual disk looks like this:

Red Hat VirtIO SCSI Disk Device
Vendor: Microsoft
Date: 21.06.2006
Version: 6.3.9600.16384

Greets
Stephan
Hi Stephan,
look at the virtio scsi controller - there you see the "right" virtio version.

Udo

@daliusm: to get a temporary fix, you can switch back to a standard IDE controller
on the hos, find out where the configuration of your VM, like /etc/pve/qemu-server/200.conf , replace virtio0: with ide0: and reboot the faulty VM
I don't know how to force windows to pin for a particular driver revision, maybe someone with more windows knowledge can say how to prevent the auto upgrade to the suse drivers to happen ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!