zvol, nfs or iscsi?

Mattias Hedman

Jan 19, 2019
I am setting a my new proxmox server, I have a 14 Tb zpool and I want the coming VMs and CTs to use it.
But what is the best way giving the VMs and CTs access to the zpool?

Last edited:
I am setting a my new proxmox server, I have a 14 Tb zpool and I want the coming VMs and CTs to use it.
But what is the best way giving the VMs and CTs access to the zpool?
For LXCs I would use bind-mounts. See here: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Unprivileged_LXC_containers
For VMs I would use NFS/CIFS, because with iSCSI or zvols your VMs couldn't access/share the same data.
A good way to setup a NFS/SMB server would be to create a LXC, setup NFS/SMB server in it and then bind-mount the datasets you want to share from the host to the LXC where the LXC then could share them using NFS/SMB to the VMs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mattias Hedman
For LXCs I would use bind-mounts. See here: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Unprivileged_LXC_containers
For VMs I would use NFS/CIFS, because with iSCSI or zvols your VMs couldn't access/share the same data.
A good way to setup a NFS/SMB server would be to create a LXC, setup NFS/SMB server in it and then bind-mount the datasets you want to share from the host to the LXC where the LXC then could share them using NFS/SMB to the VMs.
Awesome thanks! Will follow your advice! :)

But... when setting this up. Should I use the nfs-kernel-server or zfs built in nfs-sharing? What gives the most performance?

But... when setting this up. Should I use the nfs-kernel-server or zfs built in nfs-sharing? What gives the most performance?
I'm not aware of a performance difference, and I'm fairly certain it wouldn't be significant. NFS from ZFS still uses the same stuff, the biggest difference is if you configure and manage it from zfs commands or from traditional NFS config.

In my experience with the ZFS built in CIFS/SMB, the ZFS version was simpler, but had less options available. I'm not sure if the same applies for NFS.

Reactions: Mattias Hedman

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!