Zimbra cluster using Proxmox

blason16

Jan 16, 2012
Though I know this is not entirely relevant to Prxomox forum, but I am sure users must have set up a email clusters using Proxmox. I am not including exchange here specifically looking for an option to set up a HA cluster for linux based email servers. I personally a big fan of Zimbra and have already set up cluster using DRBD+Heartbeat. Only thing I am looking for is; if the same thing can be done with Proxmox in an virtualized environment?

Does any one have any better idea of setting up clusters using proxmox? or email cluster in that case?

I don't know about Zimbra clusters, why do you need it? For balancing work or for HA?
If is just for HA, you can just setup a cluster of Proxmox server with HA, having only one instance of Zimbra running in VM, then if a node crashes the other can take control and restart running Zimbra.
Or you could consider VM, running in 2 different proxmox server, like they were physical server and setup all the HA inside the VM (just an idea).
So you better have a look at the wiki of Proxmox also, to have a clearer picture (N.B. cluster does not require HA, so if you can simply restart manually the VM you can have a simpler configuration not using HA)

Though I know this is not entirely relevant to Prxomox forum, but I am sure users must have set up a email clusters using Proxmox. I am not including exchange here specifically looking for an option to set up a HA cluster for linux based email servers. I personally a big fan of Zimbra and have already set up cluster using DRBD+Heartbeat. Only thing I am looking for is; if the same thing can be done with Proxmox in an virtualized environment?

Does any one have any better idea of setting up clusters using proxmox? or email cluster in that case?
Hi,
I'm not using an email-cluster - for me is an single mailserver (with backup-mx) and a good backup/config policy good enough. Run very stable on a proxmox-cluster. The "new" mailserver run now over an year and the downtime is very short (pve-updates and so on).

How many nines do you need after the decimal point? And how do you install security fixes??

Udo

Well yes i m trying to setup mail server cluster to provide high availability hence looking from all the angles
The idea you stated i.e.setting up proxmox cluster and then set up zimbra in vm so if one node goes down other can take up in that case other would take up if proxmox goes down not zimbra services. Also while setting up proxmox cluster which shared storage wld u use? Drbd

I was looking for community help so that if any body has already setup high availble mail cluster they can share ideas.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!