ZFS -> ZFS volume migration seemingly doing 1k writes?

outback-engineer

Sep 18, 2024
Hi, I'm migrating some large LXC containers from one ZFS array to another and I'm noticing some odd behavior. It seems that for some reason, whatever system that handles LXC migrations is writing the data in 1k chunks... I mean, credit to ZFS for managing nearly 140k 1kB IOPS on spinning rust, but this seems perhaps just a little sub-optimal... I'm using the really neat ZFS IO monitoring tool ioztat for tracking dataset IO activity.
1726659571551.png

ZFS does seem to be coalescing all these 1k IOs into substantially larger chunks when the data actually hits the drives, so it doesn't seem to be a problem with the disks being flooded with small IO (the disk utilization is almost nothing - even for the HDDs)
1726659397395.png

Doing a normal (20GB) file copy seems fine so it doesn't look like a hardware issue either.
1726660284639.png

Anyone have any idea what might be going on here and if there's anything I can do about it? I'm sure I've done LXC migrations on ZFS before and had it scream pretty much full disk speed. It's not a showstopper as everything inside the container seems fine and easily hits 2GB/s when doing sequential reads, so it's more a mild annoyance than a major limitation. Still, any ideas what might be going on?
Cheers

Last edited:
The thought had occurred to me, but I figured that was unlikely because, in this instance, both containers exist on the same physical machine (albeit on different ZFS VDEVs) and all network adapters in the system (virtual or otherwise) are configured for 9k MTUs.

One thing I did find interesting was an instance of rsync chewing up a single cpu core while all this was happening. I can't prove that Proxmox uses rsync for container migrations, but I can't think of any other reason it would have been running at the time either.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!