ZFS Storage Pool Failed Drive / Upgrade

dytech

Apr 9, 2012
Hi, I have a 4.4.18 server with a zfs pool for storage consisting of 4 x 1TB older hdd's setup as mirrored pairs,1 has failed and I have purchased 4 x 3TB drives. 1 drive to replace the current failed drive and the others to upgrade at a later date.I am trying to zpool replace the offlined drive but get the error "new device has a different optimal sector size; use the option '-o ashift=N' to override the optimal size" which from reading is related to the sector size I think ? so my question is would it be better to create a new pool with new drives using ashift=12 or adding a new 3tb drive using ashift=9 and the other 3tb drives one at a time at a later date ? just after the best way to handle this. I have moved all but 1 VM of this server incase I am advised to recreate the storage pool. New to zfs so any help on the best way to proceed with this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Daz

it is probably a better idea to create a new pool with ashift=12. using ashift=12 with 512b disks is less of a problem than using ashift=9 with 4k ones.

Thanks for the reply Fabian, yes I was leaning towards creating a new pool as it will be all 4K drives plus I have moved all important VM's of the box all ready. Cheers
Daz

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!