ZFS: rpool: replace with smaller disk?

oguruma

Mar 26, 2020
I have my install on a 2 136g spinning HDDs. I'd like to replace both of them with 120G ssds.

When I use zfs replace rpool current-disk new-disk I get "cannot replace, device is too small.

As I understand it, ZFS should accept a smaller disk provided there's sufficient space on the new disk (the current boot drives are only at 2%).

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
you understand wrong, the disk you pass must be at least as big as the old one for a direct replacement. else, if you have the option to put in all disks you could also create a new pool and zfs send/recv your datasets over. but that requires a bit of downtime and knowledge of zpool/zfs commands.

On this install, the VMs themselves live on a different pool, so it's only the Proxmox install that's on the boot pool.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!