ZFS Reserving copius amounts of data

DrillSgtErnst

Jun 29, 2020
Hi,
I just found out, that creating Disks on ZFS reserves copius amounts of Data on the Host ZFS.
My ZFS is Thin-Provisioned and I use the discard Option.
Cache ist set to Write back an no, that doesn't seem to have an impact.

I have 11x4TB of HDD.
RAIDZ2
I should be able to get roughly 34TB out of that
The Pool gives me 30 TiB, Roughly 30,72TB
That would be okay to me, if there would not be a litle Problem
I can't creat a disk greater than 12950MB ~13TB.

I tried discard
TRIM

I deleted one virtual drive
I created it again, I unchecked the backup Box.
Now I could use 30TB.
Great

But the first drive I created, even if I uncheck the Backup Box, does seem to take up more than double the Space (240GB allocated, while the drive only is 100GB big)

Is there a way to resize it, without deleting and creating afterwards?

please check the forum - this is a well known issue with how raidz and zvols interact.

Well I found many Threads on this, but none did have a solution for me.

Well. Setting Backup=Off is the best use for me, just have to keep an eye on the disk.

I deleted the Disk, and everything is fine for me now after creating the Disks anew.

the backup setting does not affect how much space a volume uses.

I know, that is the curious thing. But it is reproducible on my PVE Host.

When I turn on Backup upon creation of the drive, more than double the size of the newly created disk is occupied on ZFS.

But when I turn off Backup upon creation an set Backup=On afterwards, everything is fine.

It does seem like the Backup Options does interfere with the Thin-Provisioning.

the backup flag is not passed to ZFS in any way - it's just to tell the PVE code whether to include that volume when making a backup. there must be something else going on. could you get 'zfs get all $dataset' in both cases? it should show what's going on..

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!