ZFS RAIDZ2 : how to add another disk for extend zpool space ?

atec666

Mar 8, 2019
Issoire
before doing that ... and choosing ZFS (actually RAIDZ2 4 * 1 TB) as file system for my cluster ... i'm really afraid of scalability of ZFS !
i've been working since two year with Ceph (it's very scalable, anb easy to manage : thanks proxmox !!!), i'm trying ZFs (ceph perf. are not very good with HDD) which seem s to be better ... but that embarassing question : how to add another disk and then expends my zPool1 (RAIDZ2) ?

reading posts on the web : it's seem to be a real nightmare ...

if you want to extend a RaidZ2, you have to extend it by a same size VDEV.
So with 4 * 1TByte RaidZ2 you have to add again a VDEV with 4 * TByte.

But: Z2 means 2 drives for redundancy. From a capacity point of view it is not better than 2 Mirror VDEV's
Z2 makes sense for high capacity with at least 6 (better more) drives in a VDEV (and you always have to scale up by full equal sized VDEV's)

Consider making 2 Vdev's of 2 * 1TByte mirror, then you just need a mirror of 2 * 1 TByte drives for scaling up

only need
So with 4 * 1TByte RaidZ2 you have to add again a VDEV with 4 * TByte.

NO. You only need some other let say temporay(tmp) zfs pool
- zfs send / recive from curent pool to tmp pool
- destroy curent pool
- add your new disk
- create a ne pool using the new disk
- zfs let say receive/send from tmp pool to your new pool
- end task ;).

i'm really afraid of scalability of ZFS !
i've been working since two year with Ceph (it's very scalable, anb easy to manage : thanks proxmox !!!), i'm trying ZFs (ceph perf. are not very good with HDD) which seem s to be better

Of course CEPH scales much better than ZFS: CEPH scales horizontally, whereas ZFS can only scale vertically. ZFS is a local filesystem without cluster capability, so you need a big machines with a lot of disks. For CEPH, you can just add more nodes with more space and the data is spread.

I concur with Klaus and suggest to split up your one vdev into multiple vdevs. I would not run one vdev raidz? in production if you could go with mirroring, which is much, much fast.

NO. You only need some other let say temporay(tmp) zfs pool
- zfs send / recive from curent pool to tmp pool
- destroy curent pool
- add your new disk
- create a ne pool using the new disk
- zfs let say receive/send from tmp pool to your new pool
- end task ;).
thank for your answer , but with this method you need twice the capacity of your original zpool ???
(a thing you can't do with one server)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!