ZFS RAID 0 with one disk

felipe

Oct 28, 2013
Hi,

i would like to use the new zfs repliaction feature in the future. So i want to install ZFS instead of ext4. As we have Proliants with hardare Rais controllers i would like to use their cache. Can i install ZFS with RAID= with only 1 Disk? Does it make sense?

Thank you

adamb

Mar 1, 2012
Hi,

i would like to use the new zfs repliaction feature in the future. So i want to install ZFS instead of ext4. As we have Proliants with hardare Rais controllers i would like to use their cache. Can i install ZFS with RAID= with only 1 Disk? Does it make sense?

Thank you
We run ZFS ontop of hardware raid for compression and it works. Somthing like the below command should get you going.

zpool create -f nameofpool /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-1IET_0001000a -m /nameofmount

felipe

Oct 28, 2013
OK. but in the GUI in proxmox5 its no clear what to use when setting up a new server

guletz

Apr 19, 2017
Brasov, Romania
Does it make sense
It is wrong. zfs must need to operate directly with the storage disk. Many optimization are used by zfs, and then are sent to the backend disks. The raid controller wil say ... ok I have some date in the cache, so I can lie, and say ... ok Mr zfs, your data was written to disk.
In the next second the power supply is broken. So you replace the power supply, and surprize .... zfs is broken. Even more, zfs write on disk several bloks that are part at the same transaction (like data base transaction). Many raid controllers will ignore this transactions because it can known this information. So this is another point of fail for a raid controller.

Many hw controllers write some info to the disk (like a mark sign = this disk is owned by ... any another must not try to use it because this is what I want). In some situation you will be forced to remove this hdd from this server/controller and to put in another server. Again, in most of the case zfs wil be unusabe ...

In conclusion it is working zfs on top of raid0, most of the time. But in day, you can be unlucky.

fireon

Oct 25, 2010
Austria/Graz
iteas.at
It is wrong. zfs must need to operate directly with the storage disk. Many optimization are used by zfs, and then are sent to the backend disks.
Yes. This is on of the most important things!!! HW-Raid and ZFS is like "Cat's and Dog". At some point the cat scratches you :eek:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE and Proxmox Mail Gateway. We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get your own in 60 seconds.

Buy now!